• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-X180 mobile cross-band repeat, here's how...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I got a PM asking me how to connect two Kenwood TK-X180 mobiles to do cross band repeat.
I've been meaning to reply to that. Since I had to do one today, I thought I would write
this up and put it on the forum for anyone who would like this. It's quite simple for
anyone with the least amount of wiring/solder skills. Parts required are 2 DB-25 male
connectors, 2 DB-25 hoods, 2 miniature volume pots, 2 5.6K resistors, and a chunk of
shielded cable with at least 4 wires plus drain wire (you need all five).

The idea first is to cross two logic lines between radios. I use I/O-1 PTT (to key the
radio) connected to I/O-2 COR or TOR (a receive indicator to key the opposite radio).
This is done on both radios. Second, is to cross receive audio to the mic input of
both radios. Lastly, connect shield wire ground (pin 7) to ground (pin 7).

In this Kenwood radio, receive audio is waaaay too much to put directly into the mic.
I pad the audio down with a 1.0K pot and a 5.6K resistor. The two outside terminals of
the pot connect to MI2 (mic) pin 6 and ME (mic ground) pin 25. The center terminal of the
pot (wiper) goes to a 5.6K resistor. The resistor then connects to the wire that goes to
the receive audio (AFO) of the other radio, pin 17.

In the radio programming, you will need to program I/O-1 (input/output) as input and PTT.
I/O-2 needs to be output, either COR (carrier detect) or TOR (carrier + CTCSS detect).
Both I/O's need to be active low.

Pic one is the wiring diagram. Pic 2&3 show assembly. I hot glue the pot in place. There
is also a hole drilled into the hood to access the pot for adjustments.

To adjust, turn the pot all the way down. Have someone transmit a test count on one freq,
(have them speak up, no wispering), you listen on the other freq and turn pot until volume
just comes up to max and no more. Usually about a 1/4 to 1/3 turn. Any more and it will
just get more distorted. Swap radios and do the other side. That's it.

This diagram is for an "on all the time" bi-directional repeater, which is what I'm using.
To make it selectable, simply break the two I/O lines between radios and run them up to a
dual pole switch. This would give the user on/off control of the x-band repeater.

Attachments

• XbandDiag.jpg
    XbandDiag.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 6,901
  • ShelOpen.jpg
    ShelOpen.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 5,588
  • ShellClosed.jpg
    ShellClosed.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 4,898

talexhill

Premium Subscriber
i'd like to try this with a Kenwood NX-800(H) and NX-700(H). could you email me higher resolution images, and or any updated instructions you might have? talexhill@me.com

Thanks,

T Alex

kg4uad

That's pretty trick. I have a soon to be shelved 7180 and it makes me wonder if i were to spring for a nx-700 (for rx and RAN) and tune up a duplexer if it would make a nice NXDN amateur repeater. Anyone know if the 7180 would pass digital if bandwidth was programmed to 12.5khz narrow? I'm thinking it should.

thanks
Matt R.

phillydjdan

I just finished making my cross band cable for my TK-7180/8180 pair. Works great, although it appears about a half second of audio gets chopped off the beginning of the transmission. Is there any possible way to remedy that, like a setting in the software? My next project is to try this with a pair of NXs....

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
How do you keep radio A from keying up if radio B is powered off? That is a problem if you interface the radio directly like that.

Jim

nexeradio

That's pretty trick. I have a soon to be shelved 7180 and it makes me wonder if i were to spring for a nx-700 (for rx and RAN) and tune up a duplexer if it would make a nice NXDN amateur repeater. Anyone know if the 7180 would pass digital if bandwidth was programmed to 12.5khz narrow? I'm thinking it should.

thanks
Matt R.

Did you try this with two NX- 800 and 700 radios.

Can you please e-mail me some instruction how this could be done. nexeradio@gmail.com

or share it here please.

phillydjdan

I did in fact try this with two NX series radios, however I only tested it on conventional analog channels. I did not try digital mode.

n5tbu

TOR issue

I have noticed that channels programmed as carrier squelch will cross band repeat also,
On a Pl or DPL channel,it works as it should,I guess sometimes you may want to repeat carrier channels.
I went a step further and added two relays to break the PTT lines.
I programmed a button for AUX A active low to turn on the relay to allow that radio to PTT,
giving me V to U repeat,U to V repeat or bidirectional repeat.
mod

fpcaptain

Feed Provider
I have a idomatic 4 and two 8180's that I am looking to hook together as soon as I get all the info straight. First time doing so if any cut and dried simple steps would be great!

fpcaptain

Feed Provider
I have two TK8180's that I want to make a repeater into. I have a ID-O-MATIC IV. I seem to be having a little issue getting it all to work.

This is the what I used.....

http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static.../AN246.pdf?token=T2LZxGDZtcfXJZmH+Q7Hw+98wAI=

I have PTT on DB 25 pin 4 (yellow) to pin 3 on the Idomatic as that is PTT

I have TOR on DB25 pin 22 (orange/white) to pin 7 on the idomatic as that is COR.

RX Audio DB25 pin 17(green/black) to idomatic pin 8 RX Audio.

Audio Out DB25 Pin 6 (blue) to idomatic pin 11 Audio out.

I have the radios AUX programmed to
pin 4 OUT PTT OUT LOW
pin 22 OUT TOR LOW

Modulation Line is set to
Mic PTT CONNECT CONNECT DISCONNECT

What else will be needed from here out?

Thank you.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Two corrections.

Change pin 4 (I/O9) to input and set as "External PTT Voice".

In the modulation line make external PTT voice; mic=disconnect, MI2=connect, DI line=disconnect and yes for both QT and STE.

fpcaptain

Feed Provider
Two corrections.

Change pin 4 (I/O9) to input and set as "External PTT Voice".

In the modulation line make external PTT voice; mic=disconnect, MI2=connect, DI line=disconnect and yes for both QT and STE.

OK Thanks. I tried it this way before but it turned out the wires color code of wires wasnt matching the pins.

So disregard the colors I mentioned, it turns out the double sides male cable I bought and cut in half the colors didnt match with the diagram I was going by from the internet. I now have the correct pins and color of wires (used the meter and tested myself).

Colton25

I have a similar question related to the DB25 connector. I heard theres a way to get rx audio out of the db25 connector that isn't effected by changing the volume up or down. What pins do i need to use to get rx audio?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, pin 17 AFO and pin 7 ground. Provides about 250 mV rms audio, enough to drive an amp or whatever. Squelched and filtered so same as what is fed to speaker amp.

Colton25

I apologize i should have told you I'm referring to the tk-7180 does this change anything?

Yeah, pin 17 AFO and pin 7 ground. Provides about 250 mV rms audio, enough to drive an amp or whatever. Squelched and filtered so same as what is fed to speaker amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.