• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-2180/3180

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpcaptain

Feed Provider
I am looking to add the keypad also any further info on this? I just had mine open yesterday when I replaced the antenna jack and was thinking of just the rubber faceplate(with the numbers on it) and the front cover cut out of the radio.

code3cowboy

I am looking to add the keypad also any further info on this? I just had mine open yesterday when I replaced the antenna jack and was thinking of just the rubber faceplate(with the numbers on it) and the front cover cut out of the radio.

Buy the new housing and keypad. The upgrade costs around $30 and takes about 10 mins.

fpcaptain

Feed Provider
OK. I think I ordered the right parts. I knew what to order I just wasnt sure of the proper names so I could look the part up. The service manual just called the rubber seal "packing" in the ex of course there was 5 other things called packing. I ordered from kenwoodparts.com was Sub.: $ 31.62
Ship: $ 7.95
Tot.: $ 39.57

This is what I ordered... Many parts are discontinued and I think these were 2 of them I needed so these are the replacement parts. I didnt order the lights as I figure I probably dont need them as I dont use them that much and I didnt really look to see how difficult it is to install them. I know to do the keypad is VERY EASY. I replaced the antenna jack on Thursday and even that only took 10 minutes apart and back together.
These were the parts I ordered
1 15.15 G53-1686-11 RUBBER SEAL TK-2180 TK-3180
1 16.47 A02-3848-33 CASE ASSY (K2) TK-2180 TK-3180

Shawnlin20

Premium Subscriber
Let me know if those are the correct parts. I tried to order the parts from my local dealer and he wouldn't do it unless he put the case on. Thanks

fpcaptain

Feed Provider
Yes this is all you have to do and these are the parts.. The service manual actually calls for a different part but they were discontinued and these are their replacement. I ordered it Sunday via the website they didnt ship until Wednesday and I received it Friday. Im in central PA and they are about an hour or so east of NYC.

It works fine I didnt order the LED's though so the keypad doesnt light up. Well 123 light up from the S A B C lights but I figure I didnt really need them. It was installed in less than 10 min. I am not sure which LED's are needed but if you do order them and install them they are pretty small and will need soldered to the board. I would not recommend getting them though.

-Anyway you just take the antenna, vol, and channel knob off
-Take battery off
-Unscrew the 2 screws at the bottom of radio under battery and the radio should come right out of the front case, you may have to gently lift up on the bottom with a screwdriver or something.
-then you take the rubber face off the front (it lifts right off.

-put the full keypad rubber pad on
-you will need to take off the the PTT and 2 side buttons which slide right off but the buttons are actually on a plastic piece that has little grooves on the case that they will need to slide into on the new case.
-Lastly slide the new case back on and put the 2 screws back in and put knobs, battery and antenna back on and your done.

wx9kvh

Tk-3180

Just curious, i just bought a limited keypad model off of eBay. Called the guy at kenwoodparts.com and was advised that the limited keypad models could not just be upgraded to the dtmf keypad due to the keyboard for the 12 extra buttons not being "wired in". Just curious if this is true or not? I would like to upgrade mine as well but would like to know if the information i have obtained is wrong. Please let me know. Thanks.

fpcaptain

Feed Provider
When I ordered I wasnt that impressed by the 2 people I spoke with. The lady seemed like she was having a bad day unless its her normal personality and didnt even know what I was talking about she put me on with a guy and he didnt seem to know that much either. I just ordered it from there website and I only called cause I thought I was going to talk to someone intelligent but.... Anyway. Im not saying it is impossible that there are some that dont have it as I dont know but you can always open the radio and see since you will have to open it up to put put the two parts in anyway. It is really easy. You just take the screws out on the exterior of the radio (since I am typing this I can not remember if I typed up the exact directions but this is as I remember if I didnt) Seems to me you dont even have to take all the screws out. Either the case you can take them out just to be sure. Pull the knobs off the top and unscrew the antenna, you will also need to unscrew the nuts underneath the knobs and there was a little rubber piece on the volume knob (which just keep its from adjusting the volume so easy, its not really needed) I think after doing this you should be able to life the front face off you maybe have to gently pry it up a little and will come right off. You will then see a rubber cover that just lays there which is the keypad cover that has the limited 4 keypad lift that up and see if there is the board there where the other 12 keys are they will look the same as where the 4 that are already there. You will have to change in the software also to full keypad or it probably wont work. Anyway the only thing didnt order was the LED's to light up the rest of the keyboard as I wasnt sure which ones were needed and truthfully I didnt think they would be that important but if you know which ones to order you could get them also but you will have to solder them to the keypad circuit board where they go. I think there are 4 of them, if you look up where the 4 keys you have are you will see the 2 that are there and you will see where the others go.

Status
Not open for further replies.