• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

General programming info on TK-7180

Status
Not open for further replies.

WY2Y

I'm thinking of geting a used TK-7180 on that big auction site, to use as a home 2 meter station and to monitor the public safety frequencies relevant to me (I'm a volunteer EMT and Red Cross disaster volunteer). I would of course get the programming cable and software.

Q1. Is the software easy to use, or do you have to apprentice to someone in the trade to figure it out?

Q2. The radio is described as having zones and groupids/ channels. I suppose a zone would be a geographic area where a certain bunch of channels could all be heard at the same time. So if later I used it as a mobile, I might set one for the northeast part of the state, one for the northwest part of the state, etc., right?

I suppose that groupids would only be used in trunked radios (none of those around me) and channels would be used in conventional systems. So each channel would be for a particular agency or purpose in a certain zone (county sheriff, city EMS, city dog catcher, etc.) Have I got that right?

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Kenwood software is probably one of the most user friendly I have ever used (especially after using MTX DOS based for TRS)!

You will need a cable (easily available on eBay) and the software (the internet is your friend).

Zones & Groups are just like on scanners. Now if you are talking TGID's (TalkGroup ID's), it is a horse of a different color. With that, you will need a radio shop (most likely the agency) do the programming as they have all the codes that will make it work. And if it is an TRS, you will need a user ID.

If you want to just be able to monitor a system, get a scanner. Cheaper and safer.

WY2Y

Of course, I want to talk on the ham frequencies. Also, I may want to talk on the public safety frequencies very briefly, just to let my fellow volunteers I'm responding. The handitalky they issued me often isn't heard until I get to the flatter parts of town.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The TK-7180 is a very nice radio and should suit your purpose well. It can be used on LTR conventional trunked systems but it sounds like you would not need to use LTR.

By default, the programming is for conventional channels and you will use this. It has a maximum of 512 channels and 128 zones. You can set this up anyway you want. You could have 1 zone of 512 channels, 128 zones of 4 channels or any combination in between. I set my zones by service ( fire, PD, ham, customers etc). For scan, you could add or delete channels or turn on/off entire zones with a push of a button.

The software is easy to use, however, the radio has many features and you will find menus and tabs that will leave your head spinning. The use of the help files will explain things. There is also a programming manual for this model. Basically, if you can set up your zones/channels, program the buttons the way you want them, set scan parameters to your preference, you will be set to go. Then you could go back at a later date and figure out the rest of the program and change what you want, forget the rest.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
It can be set up any number of ways.

I have a zone for the "Old" channel plan at work from the old 16 channel days, One that has all 200 channels, one for ham, one for weather, one for scanning the local pd/fd

WY2Y

Thanks for the info. I ended up buying a ham transceiver, an ICOM IC-208H. It's more bang for the buck for my purposes. If I ever decide to get a land mobile radio, an 8 or 16 channel rig will do, since now there will be a ham mobile next to it both at home and in the pickup.

btritch

I just purchased and 8180 UHF. I will be using it for UHF LTR Trunking for my local road dept frequency (Since I'm allowed to use it when the county storm chases) and I have everything to set it up. It will just be replacing my current 863G. However, I needed to know if the 8180 would do UHF Conventional LTR Trunking.. But I think I answered my own question as it will. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
BTRITCH - I can tell you that my TK-7180 will do VHF LTR trunking so I see no reason why the 8180 wouldn't do the same for UHF.

Let me second the above posts about the software being easy to use. Programming is o simple and easy to change when you need to. However, I may be doing something wrong, but I question the earlier post about channel capacity. I believe its capacity is 128 channels, not 512. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Let me say to the original poster - if you have any problems, shoot me a PM and I will help you.

Mike
"Metrofire31"
Atlanta
WQIT636

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Hey Guys - I posted too quick. As it turns out, I have the TK-7150, not the 7180, so it probably is 512 channels. But, they both use the same basic Kenwood software and it's VERY user friendly.

KenK

Need help

I have a TK-7180H and a TK-880H
I have a programming cable I used for other Ham Rigs and made an adapter to plug
into the mic input of the radios.

Using the KPG-49D software it works perfectly with the TK-880H.
I can read and write frequencies to the radio and verify my writes
by reading them back and by seeing the names of the new channels on
the display.

Using either the KPG-89D or KPG-96D software I get an error message
telling me to check the Model and Com connection.
On the face of the radio it displays the word "PROGRAM" when
I try to read but then the computer displays the error message.

Should I assume the RS232 to TTL adapter I am using is good since
it works for the TK-880H and assume something is not right with the radio
and or software?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ken

Av8tor56

"Should I assume the RS232 to TTL adapter I am using is good since
it works for the TK-880H and assume something is not right with the radio
and or software?"

Some Kenwoods REALLY hate it when you use adapters on them. I use a Cheap $20 programming cable and oddly enough the older Kenwoods (780, 980, 760g)aren't too fond of it but they read and write on the 2nd or 3rd attempt. The newer models read and write just fine. If you can eliminate the adapter then it should work with the 7180.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Kenwoods

When I "write" to my TK-7150/8150s, I almost always encounter the "RETRY" error message on the 2nd and 3rd attempt. Most often, I'm able to "write" on the 3rd attempt and I've never had it fail completely. I used a Radio Shack adapter cable RS232-USB along with the TK-7150/8150 programming cable.

As a footnote - I wish every radio and scanner I have was as easy to program or re-program as my Kenwoods.

Mike
Metrofire31
Atlanta
WQIT636

Raptor05121

As a footnote - I wish every radio and scanner I have was as easy to program or re-program as my Kenwoods.

Mike
Metrofire31
Atlanta
WQIT636

agreed. I love programming my radios. takes up to 30 seconds just to add a channel or change the text on the display. love Kenwoods

Status
Not open for further replies.