• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-5210 P25 signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
I recently purchased a KW TK-5210-K2 version 1 firmware, however I am not new to the TK-5210 model as I use one for work that is department issued. All of our work frequencies, however, are analog. I have full programming capabilities for my radio. Our sheriff's department where I live went with a conventional P25 frequency within the last year, and I know they're still new to it.

What I am after is experiences with the TK-5210 on P25 frequencies. I have programmed the correct frequency, NAC, and am receiving signal. However, here is where my problem lies. I live approximately 2 miles from the repeater site and from the dispatch center. There are times where the signal I am receiving is broken up or completely unheard. For example, on a routine traffic stop, I can hear dispatch talking (whether clear or broken up) but sometimes I can't hear the officer at all. My green light flashes, but I receive no signal. Other times, I can hear an officer on the other side of the county clear as day and not broken up. I do have other frequencies in the set zone and on scan, however this frequency is set as priority, so there should be no problem there.

Obviously I am new to the P25 system, so it might just be something I did wrong. Has anyone else had problems with this?

Thank you in advance,
Dan

car5le

Premium Subscriber
Does your P25 system have a different Talkgroup than the default the KPG-95D sets in your radio? The Talkgroup setting in the KPG-95D software is under the "Personal" - "Group" - "Talkgroup/Individual ID List".

We run a couple of P25 tac conventional channels and ran into the very same issue when mixing Motorola radios with Kenwood. We discovered that the Motorola software had a different talkgroup listed which threw everything off kilter. Once we matched the NAC's and the talk groups we were good.

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
I recently purchased a KW TK-5210-K2 version 1 firmware, however I am not new to the TK-5210 model as I use one for work that is department issued. All of our work frequencies, however, are analog. I have full programming capabilities for my radio. Our sheriff's department where I live went with a conventional P25 frequency within the last year, and I know they're still new to it.

What I am after is experiences with the TK-5210 on P25 frequencies. I have programmed the correct frequency, NAC, and am receiving signal. However, here is where my problem lies. I live approximately 2 miles from the repeater site and from the dispatch center. There are times where the signal I am receiving is broken up or completely unheard. For example, on a routine traffic stop, I can hear dispatch talking (whether clear or broken up) but sometimes I can't hear the officer at all. My green light flashes, but I receive no signal. Other times, I can hear an officer on the other side of the county clear as day and not broken up. I do have other frequencies in the set zone and on scan, however this frequency is set as priority, so there should be no problem there.

Obviously I am new to the P25 system, so it might just be something I did wrong. Has anyone else had problems with this?

Thank you in advance,
Dan

Where in Wisconsin are you? Are you required to monitor County Law on the P25? Or is it just a hobby?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar

Thank you in advance,
Dan

If your programming (NAC, frequencies, etc) is good, then the radio may need an alignment.

Even slightly off frequency in a digital world can produce extremely poor performance, so if you have confirmed your programming is valid, then you might need to seek out a qualified shop to do an alignment- shouldn't cost you more than a 1/2 hour labor if nothing is physically wrong with your radio.

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
Thanks for the replies guys,

I am not required, just a hobby. I live in Waushara County, which is where I am having issues with this. After doing a bit of research, I found that it might have something to do with the mixing of radio brands. I have the frequency and NAC code correct as well. I am not too familiar with all the talk-group lingo, as I'm still new to the digital world. It really isn't that bad or that big of a deal, I was just wondering. It very well could have something to do with needing re-alignment, but I don't need the hassle!

Once again, thanks guys!

towertech

Welcome to the wonderful world of simulcast P25 (CQPSK) mode.

The version 1 TK-5210 / TK-5710's and most of the Harris P25 radios do not deal well with simulcast distortion on conventional (non-trunked) P25 systems.

Waushara, Waupaca, Marinette, & Oconto counties are all running CQPSK on conventional frequencies.
All are using Motorola except Waupaca County, which is using Tait equipment.

Waushara is the worst of all to receive properly. I suspect they may be using Motorola's 'Wide-Band Pulse' proprietary flavor of CQPSK.

Status
Not open for further replies.