• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX5300 cannot talk DMR direct to xpr7550

Status
Not open for further replies.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
I put both radios on same freq, cc, and group id. The XPR7550 talks to the NX5300 but not other way around. The LED lights to show signal but no audio and ID doesn't display. Now if I go through a repeater it seems to work both ways. I tried with dual mode turned on and off still no joy. I tried using talk around on Kenwood to see if XPR could hear that on channels set up for repeater-still no joy. It's late and tomorrow I'll try my mobile with the nx5300 to see if any different. My initial suspicion is timing which on XPR is eligible only in NON dual mode. Couldn't find similar settings on NX.
Oh, as an aside is there anyway to set the NX5300 so that it gives a permit tone when you key up indicating successful handshake with the repeater and radio ready to accept voice? I get the warning tone eventually when it fails but I prefer knowing exactly when I "have" the repeater.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I had a problem with XPR7550's and Kenwood TK-D340's. Same thing, no audio Kenwood to Moto.
In the Kenwood I had to enable Selcall On PTT and set it to Group. Not sure why it works for you through the repeater as my problem was both on the repeat and simplex channels (repeater is a XPR8400).

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
A lot of things seem intermittent and may relate to desense with so many radios in close proximity. It will be more than a week before I can get time to experiment further. Right now I'm having the issue of radio locking up, usually in scan. It looks OK but shows no signal when there is one and most buttons are unresponsive. When I press the "BACK" button radio reboots.I think this is the issue Evan is chasing.

Josh

I had the same issue and the resolution was in the programming, but I think i twas on the Motorola end... something about the type of simplex operation and whether it was the single slot TDMA or "dual slot" which is the "old way" of DMR simplex.

RK3AAG

Voice communications works fine between NX5000 and ALL Motorola XPR radios.

I bet you missed one on these things:

1. Turn OFF DSDM at Kenwood or enable DCDM at Motorola. It works for Direct channel only. These settings must be enabled or disabled at the both ends synchronously. DSDM tuened ON by default, but DCDM is turned OFF by default. Different companies, different approaches, yes.
2. Put proper DMR group into DMR Group List. And assign group list to DMR system (YES, system!) you want to use. No groups or no Group list assigned to channel, you will nerver hear anything in DMR. This is DMR nature, every radio works like this. In Moto you MUST add RX Group List to channel, but software allows you to leave this field empty. But you MUST add RX Group List to receive group calls.
3. Same thing as #3, but for TX. Select Group for PTT press.
4. In Kenwood, select proper Group in channel settings or enable Group ID Scan if you want to listen more than one group at the channel selected.

All very simple after many years of expirience, but none of Kenwood dealers will help you with it. Because they just don't know and have no expirience :)

Last edited:

MSS-Dave

Voice communications works fine between NX5000 and ALL Motorola XPR radios.

I bet you missed one on these things:

1. Turn OFF DSDM at Kenwood or enable DCDM at Motorola. It works for Direct channel only. These settings must be enabled or disabled at the both ends synchronously. DSDM tuened ON by default, but DCDM is turned OFF by default. Different companies, different approaches, yes.
2. Put proper DMR group into DMR Group List. And assign group list to DMR system (YES, system!) you want to use. No groups or no Group list assigned to channel, you will nerver hear anything in DMR. This is DMR nature, every radio works like this. In Moto you MUST add RX Group List to channel, but software allows you to leave this field empty. But you MUST add RX Group List to receive group calls.
3. Same thing as #3, but for TX. Select Group for PTT press.
4. In Kenwood, select proper Group in channel settings or enable Group ID Scan if you want to listen more than one group at the channel selected.

All very simple after many years of expirience, but none of Kenwood dealers will help you with it. Because they just don't know and have no expirience :)
So tell me.....

Seeming that all Kenwood dealers suck and can't / won't test ALL scenarios that you are able to come up with...

Can you tell me if NX5300 in DMR mode will talk to ANY Hytera DMR radio? I have both, I'm just too lazy / busy to test.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber

This might be a Kenwoods-only issue but on a Motorola you do NOT have to have an RX Group List assigned to any given DMR channel to receive a group call so long as you have the proper contact selected for the transmit side. I have lots of Motorola and Hytera DMR gear and zero RX Group Lists assigned and they all work fine on group and private call.

RK3AAG

This might be a Kenwoods-only issue but on a Motorola you do NOT have to have an RX Group List assigned to any given DMR channel to receive a group call so long as you have the proper contact selected for the transmit side. I have lots of Motorola and Hytera DMR gear and zero RX Group Lists assigned and they all work fine on group and private call.
Sorry, but you're wrong. Remove RX List from Moto and you will hear nothing! I bet and I am 100500% sure. I have tested it 5 years ago for a first time and tested it again a few days ago. All moto XPR radios will remaing muted if no list assigned for RX! Looks like you mixed-up something or just not tried. Sorry for this piece of truth. Please retry and share your expirience again. I bet that you will confirm my information.

BTW, I am not sure about Private call, I am talking about Group call.

Also, I am not an expert in Hytera and don't like it, so I am not intended to test it in nearest feature. But my guy who is very good with Hytera tested and confirmed that it also will NOT unmute. No RX list = no RX audio.

Personally I can confirm that Vertex EVX shows the same appearance.

So, none of existing radios (excluding Chinese radios with patched firmware?) can do that.

RK3AAG

So tell me.....

Seeming that all Kenwood dealers suck and can't / won't test ALL scenarios that you are able to come up with...

Can you tell me if NX5300 in DMR mode will talk to ANY Hytera DMR radio? I have both, I'm just too lazy / busy to test.

Nothing wrong with Kewood DMR compatibility AFAIK. And as stated above, I have no plans to test Kenwood-Hytera interoperability. There is no such task, and I have many other things to try/to test.

Last edited:

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, but you're wrong. Remove RX List from Moto and you will hear nothing! I bet and I am 100500% sure. I have tested it 5 years ago for a first time and tested it again a few days ago. All moto XPR radios will remaing muted if no list assigned for RX! Looks like you mixed-up something or just not tried. Sorry for this piece of truth. Please retry and share your expirience again. I bet that you will confirm my information.

BTW, I am not sure about Private call, I am talking about Group call.

Also, I am not an expert in Hytera and don't like it, so I am not intended to test it in nearest feature. But my guy who is very good with Hytera tested and confirmed that it also will NOT unmute. No RX list = no RX audio.

Personally I can confirm that Vertex EVX shows the same appearance.

So, none of existing radios (excluding Chinese radios with patched firmware?) can do that.

Mine work and all the ones I have ever programmed work. Guess I just have the magic touch but I think either you are doing something wrong or something is getting lost in translation here. I do not have any RX Group Lists assigned nor have I ever had any assigned and all the radios work fine. Not sure where you are located but I suppose it could be a regional limitation.

I have seen where two radios having the same subscriber ID will mute each other and for this reason I recommend using a different ID with every radio.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
I've never set any of the Group Lists to "None", but here is the help window from CPS on the RX group list.

Group List
Associates any available RX Group List to the channel for reception. The user can listen to any Group in this list when there is any activity on it and talk back within the Group Call hang time. This is also known as a Group Scan. Selecting the None option disables the user from receiving any Group Calls on this channel, except when the Call ID is the same as the Call ID of the transmit member. The Call ID from the Contact Name is automatically added to the RX Group List on this channel by default. This allows the user to receive this call, even though this feature is set to None. This is a channel-wide feature.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I've never set any of the Group Lists to "None", but here is the help window from CPS on the RX group list.

Group List
Associates any available RX Group List to the channel for reception. The user can listen to any Group in this list when there is any activity on it and talk back within the Group Call hang time. This is also known as a Group Scan. Selecting the None option disables the user from receiving any Group Calls on this channel, except when the Call ID is the same as the Call ID of the transmit member. The Call ID from the Contact Name is automatically added to the RX Group List on this channel by default. This allows the user to receive this call, even though this feature is set to None. This is a channel-wide feature.

There you have it...

If I am on Tac 310 I want to hear Tac 310 only, not every other talkgroup on the time slot. Just my personal preference. RX Group List is only good IMHO if you want to receive all traffic or you are trying to monitor something specific on an RX-Only channel. Again, all personal preference.

RK3AAG

Mine work and all the ones I have ever programmed work. Guess I just have the magic touch but I think either you are doing something wrong or something is getting lost in translation here. I do not have any RX Group Lists assigned nor have I ever had any assigned and all the radios work fine. Not sure where you are located but I suppose it could be a regional limitation.

I have seen where two radios having the same subscriber ID will mute each other and for this reason I recommend using a different ID with every radio.
This is bull****. Share your codeplug and I will explain you where you're failed.

This is NOT an option. This is mandatory setting for ANY professional DMR radio. This is part of standard - there is no any wildcard for GID. So, you have to specify one or more if you need to receive Group calls. You MUST specify it.

This is very very very known situation tested many times. Now all looks like you're don't know how to program radio properly. I bet that you have RX group list on channel. I can bet even for XPR radio.

Of course as was stated above, if you're not using the same RID.

Josh

You can program a TX group and none for the RX... the selected TX group will be the RX group for that channel. This allows you to be able to transmit and receive an individual group without having to set up an RX group list that might have only one group in it.

On the flip side, if you have an RX list set up and no TX group, you will need to select one from the contacts before you'll be able to transmit on a group (unless in a hang time).

If you don't set up either, the radio will be mute, I suppose, unless it receives a private call or other alert.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
This is bull****. Share your codeplug and I will explain you where you're failed.

This is NOT an option. This is mandatory setting for ANY professional DMR radio. This is part of standard - there is no any wildcard for GID. So, you have to specify one or more if you need to receive Group calls. You MUST specify it.

This is very very very known situation tested many times. Now all looks like you're don't know how to program radio properly. I bet that you have RX group list on channel. I can bet even for XPR radio.

Of course as was stated above, if you're not using the same RID.

1) I'm not sharing my codeplug with anyone, especially you of all people. I know what works and what doesn't. If it doesn't work for you, then I'm sorry to hear that. I just don't want everyone reading the forums here to be under the assumption you have to do this.

2) Chill out, it's just a hobby.

MSS-Dave

Well, I have literally HUNDREDS of Hytera " professional " radios out with ZERO RX group list. There is a check box for RX follows TX contact, I believe it defaults when no RX group specified. I have added Hytera into Motorola conventional DMR repeaters no issue.

Guess I'll have to get the Moto out and see what happens Hytera vs. Moto vs Kenwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.