Federal

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunjerry

It has been a long time since I listened to the Fed bands. Does anyone have any confirmed frequencies for Louisiana? TG, vhf, uhf? Thanks jerry

Dufus

I checked the previously mentioned links, plus searched all over and still tripping over my own feet I guess. I'm trying to find the frequencies for U.S. Wildlife and Fisheries in southeast Louisiana. i.e. St Tammany Parish. thanks in advance if anyone can steer me in the right direction.

nd5y

The correct name is U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
In many places they use 164.625 and 164.675. I don't know if that is true in your area.
You will most likely have to search the federal bands and find them yourself.

Tim-B

I sat working at home in Lafayette for a few days and I was searching the VHF and UHF federal frequencies just for the heck of it and all I heard was Border Patrol. They must have numerous repeaters over a wide area because the units I was hearing were working in Calcasieu Parish along I-10 near the Texas state line which is just over 100 miles west of where I live. What was weird was that the mobile units were P25 in the clear but the dispatcher was encrypted yet they seemed to have no trouble hearing each other. They had very little traffic on the radio. On average about one very short conversation per hour. I don't remember the frequency. It's not something I wanted to keep for monitoring.

ecps92

Yes - they have multiple repeaters, networked (common input) to cover specific/regions, generally tied to the local Office. The outputs (Repeaters) also, beacon periodically as users enable their radios, and the portable/mobile/base then calculate the signal and automatically steer the user (Vote-Scan) to listen to the strongest Repeater tower.

Curious did you log (write-down) the Freq/NAC's to share ??
I sat working at home in Lafayette for a few days and I was searching the VHF and UHF federal frequencies just for the heck of it and all I heard was Border Patrol. They must have numerous repeaters over a wide area because the units I was hearing were working in Calcasieu Parish along I-10 near the Texas state line which is just over 100 miles west of where I live. What was weird was that the mobile units were P25 in the clear but the dispatcher was encrypted yet they seemed to have no trouble hearing each other. They had very little traffic on the radio. On average about one very short conversation per hour. I don't remember the frequency. It's not something I wanted to keep for monitoring.

Tim-B

Okay, the Border Patrol is 171.7625, NAC 300h. When I was working in Texas and drove there from Lafayette each week I would see at least one unit sitting in the median of I-10 in Calcasieu Parish just a few miles from the Texas state line. From what I heard on the radio while working at home it appeared that I was hearing that unit.

@ CajunJerry, are you not hearing any traffic searching the 160's and lower 170's and 380-420? Man, you would think with over 300,000 people in Shreveport-Bossier that there would a least be a little federal traffic. I never did try searching those ranges during the six years that I spent working in that area. I mainly just listened to the caddo 800 system and state 700.

Tim-B

@ ecps92, that periodic beacon you talked about, does is have kind of a harsh baap baaaap . . . baap baaaap sound? I am hearing that about every 15 to 30 minutes or so.

ecps92

that should be the Lafayette Repeater
Part of the Wide-Area/Vote-Scan network for NOLA Sector, the WEST Zone.
There should be at-least 3 other Repeaters active at the same time on other frequencies.

As for Shreveport, not much up there, except CBP on DNET-02

Okay, the Border Patrol is 171.7625, NAC 300h. When I was working in Texas and drove there from Lafayette each week I would see at least one unit sitting in the median of I-10 in Calcasieu Parish just a few miles from the Texas state line. From what I heard on the radio while working at home it appeared that I was hearing that unit.

@ CajunJerry, are you not hearing any traffic searching the 160's and lower 170's and 380-420? Man, you would think with over 300,000 people in Shreveport-Bossier that there would a least be a little federal traffic. I never did try searching those ranges during the six years that I spent working in that area. I mainly just listened to the caddo 800 system and state 700.

Last edited:

ecps92

Yes, and the cycle varies, generally Only when someone turns a Radio On
However there have been reports of Repeaters beaconing by themselves

@ ecps92, that periodic beacon you talked about, does is have kind of a harsh baap baaaap . . . baap baaaap sound? I am hearing that about every 15 to 30 minutes or so.

Tim-B

Ok, I will. I'm hearing nothing today. I mean nothing. Or as we cajuns would say, "pas rien ditout."

ecps92

You should atleast be catching some USFS traffic from the Simpson and Corney Towers for the Kisatchie National Forest

Doesn't make sense that I can't find anything. Even when I travel to Shreveport. But thanks and keep sending frequencies

Tim-B

While we are on the subject of federal frequencies does anyone know what 167.7875 is for? I heard some short data burst numerous times during the day and one short encrypted transmission that lasted about 5 seconds. It does not show up on any of the Louisiana frequencies in the RR database but appears to be for the FBI in other areas of the country.

Tim-B

Maaan, I can see why you guys want those NAC's so bad. Paging system intermod. You're sitting there with the scanner going and it's all quiet then all of a sudden a big blaring:

BEEEEE - OOOOOOOOOOOOO

It kinda gets annoying after a while.

Now clean up that coffee you just spit all over your keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.