New Tower Site in Livingston

Status
Not open for further replies.

teebee

Just saw a post of a ribbon cutting ceremony held today for Livingston’s new “signature project” south of I-12. Is this the same site listed in the DB as the Denham Springs site or a different new site not yet listed. It is posted with images on Louisiana Governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness
Facebook page.

Post reads:
Good news concerning emergency communications along the I-12 corridor! Livingston Parish held a ribbon cutting for its new $3.7 million Emergency Communication Tower. This is Livingston’s “signature project” under their Gustav/Ike funding and critical to being connected to the state’s emergency communication system.

The tower facility is located off Oliver Wheat Road south of I -12

Technoguy58

This tower is eventually going to have most parish communication repeaters on it eventually. After the flood on 2016 when so many parish communications went down, it was decided to apply for some grant money to move almost all parish communications onto e specially built tower that has been "hardened" for the most extreme weather events (hopefully). A number of parishes have decided to "harden" their communication infrastructure since Katrina. Washington parish was hit EXTREMELY hard by Katrina. Almost all their P.S. comms were down. NOLA got the bulk of the news accounts about comms being down but trust me, Washington parish had lots of comm problems for awhile. They consolidated all most all their onto a new tower by the new 911 center (including a ham repeater) that is supposed to be state of the art(whatever that means). Livingston is doing basically the same thing. The original proposal was for SO,OEP,FIRE,SCHOOL BOARD, as well as 2-3 ham repeaters and DEMCO to be on it. I almost forgot LWIN. Some of fire departments (if not all- I don't know) were given the option of paying a substantial 1 time fee to move onto this new tower or stay with their monthly rental on leased tower space they are using now. Anyway, LWIN is going to move from the current Livingston tower to this new location eventually. This is moving LWIN off of the leased tower north of the Livingston exit onto the new parish 911 communications tower south of I-12 at the Livingston exit. This location is almost perfectly centralized in the middle of the parish. The LWIN swithover is supposed to be seamless. Nothing will change. A little better coverage for LWIN down into some of Lake Maurepas. If you want to read the engineering report from the consultant about the proposal and final recommendations I can email you a copy. Has interesting maps of the proposed rf foot print of the various departments in the parish(existing and new location. This has nothing to do with the LWIN site in Denham Springs. By the way (for those that remember) the new tower is behind the sludge pitt filled with all the toxic ground dug up after the train derailment in Livingston(1980-81ish)

Technoguy58

Just as an aside, I feel for the folks in Florida, but really, c'mon, after 1-2 weeks to expect all power to be back on is unrealistic. Look at the damage. It takes time to repair the infrastructure. People think I'm pulling there leg when I tell them that it was 3 MONTHS before power was restored to my street after Katrina. Hang in there.... it'll get better.

red8

LPSO and Walker need to get on board.
Walker PD uses LWIN during day time and at 6PM they switch to the scratchy UHF 460 system

red8

Walker PD is the 460 UHF system with LPSO. Walker only uses LWIN during daytime hours and switches back to the scratchy 460 system with LPSO.

Status
Not open for further replies.