working new zealand japan and austraila

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3JSO

i was wondering when is the best time in the summer months to work new zealand, japan and austraila from canada on ssb and between 40m to 15m what is the best band works for you

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Starting abt an hour b4 your sunrise on 80 and 40 CW. Pay attention to the terminator passing over you vs the "down under" target as the path changes with the seasons. Signals can rise and fall in 15/20 minutes. HTH.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I have had good luck working Japan on 10m SSB, and New Zealand on 10m SSB, never worked Austrailia though.

N0IU

No one can predict what band conditions will be like in the summer. If I could do that, I would be able to retire with a lot of money in the bank!

But all is not lost!

Start here: Propagation

Scroll down to February 2014 and you will see several options. You're not really in the Midwest and not really on the East Coast, but for the sake of argument, click on Midwest.

Once you do, this will bring up a PDF with 12 graphs. Each graph has the time (in GMT of course) along the bottom and frequency (in MHz) along the left side. So let's say you want to work Australia. Look at the first graph in the second row. You will see that from about 1800z until about 0200z the red and green lines are well above 28 which means that conditions are favorable for working into Australia on any band up to and including 10 meters. You will also see that the green line never dips below 14 MHz which means that conditions are favorable for 20 meters just about any time.

But remember, these are only predictions (scientific as they are), NOT guarantees!

Status
Not open for further replies.