Intriguing DX On the Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrissim

Be on the lookout for Chesterfield Islands (number 21 on the DXCC Most Wanted List) coming up Oct 1st. Also on the air is North Cook (number 57 on the list) from now until October 27th, according to DXWorld.

To provide hope, I worked North Cook this evening on a dipole with 600 W on 17 meters first call. He was an honest 5/5 for about 30 minutes before he faded into the ether.

To KJ3N: can't argue with you about the dipole. Never thought I'd work Niue and N. Cook using one over the hexbeam.

AC2OY

That's really cool Chris!!! I could barely hear most of those stations even with my trusty headphones on. Tonight for me 20,40,and 80 had crazy noise,I thought I could work the station from French Guiania but I think I was only hearing people close to me trying to call him. I have yet to hear any of the Japan stations. I see them popping up and go there but all I hear is static. Glad you worked that one that is very cool!

kj3n

Be on the lookout for Chesterfield Islands (number 21 on the DXCC Most Wanted List) coming up Oct 1st. Also on the air is North Cook (number 57 on the list) from now until October 27th, according to DXWorld.

Yeah, that will be a zoo for the first week. I'll probably stay out of it for the first several days.

To provide hope, I worked North Cook this evening on a dipole with 600 W on 17 meters first call. He was an honest 5/5 for about 30 minutes before he faded into the ether.

E51MQT, I presume?

To KJ3N: can't argue with you about the dipole. Never thought I'd work Niue and N. Cook using one over the hexbeam.

E51MQT 40m RTTY 10/01/2015 12:27 <--- 100w and the 80m doublet.

Took a while to find the right QRG and break the pile-up. If it was easy, everyone would do it. ;)

chrissim

E51MQT 40m RTTY 10/01/2015 12:27 <--- 100w and the 80m doublet.

Took a while to find the right QRG and break the pile-up. If it was easy, everyone would do it. ;)

Congrats on your catch. I love RTTY but it is by no means a weak signal mode. I never could decode E6GG and had to resort to phone to make contact.

As for Chesterfield, I will attempt to work them as soon as I see them spotted. The only positive of losing the beam is that it has become fun and challenging again.

kj3n

S79SP 15m SSB 04/10/2015 17:02z <--- Confirmed on Club Log.

100w and the 40m loop, loaded on 15m via tuner.

chrissim

I can't remember the last time I worked Seychelles, but I don't think I've heard S79SP yet. I did manage to work Chesterfield on the dipole the second day of their operation. I gave up after about 45 minutes, went downstairs for a while, came back up and snagged 'em on 20 meters within 5 minutes. Go figure. Some have worked TX3X via their mobiles and 100 watts, and even QRP.

I've read that some that made contact never made it into the TX3X log. I would be livid considering the overall HF conditions, pileups and terrible behavior I've heard.

Mike: you've got plenty of enthusiasm. Keep at it. Keep an eye on DX-World. It will keep you i the loop in terms of the rare stuff.

kj3n

TX3X 15M SSB 05/10/2015 21:30z <-- Confirmed by the online log at tx3x.com

500w and the 51 foot doublet.

Unfortunately, they are too weak for me to work right now on 40m SSB. Their signal is at the same level as my noise. Probably should have gotten up a couple of hours ago.

AC2OY

TX3X 15M SSB 05/10/2015 21:30z <-- Confirmed by the online log at tx3x.com

500w and the 51 foot doublet.

Unfortunately, they are too weak for me to work right now on 40m SSB. Their signal is at the same level as my noise. Probably should have gotten up a couple of hours ago.

Very nice! I would guess it's safe to say a QSL card is on its way?!&#128515;

kj3n

TX3X 30M RTTY 08/10/2015 12:29z <-- 100w and 80m doublet @ 63 feet.

Now I have to wait for a new log upload to see if it actually is confirmed.

Given the horrible solar conditions right now, I'm surprised I heard them at all.

AC2OY

TX3X 30M RTTY 08/10/2015 12:29z <-- 100w and 80m doublet @ 63 feet.

Now I have to wait for a new log upload to see if it actually is confirmed.

Given the horrible solar conditions right now, I'm surprised I heard them at all.

I hear you last night I'm not sure how I made a Q with the station in the Canary Islands and that was about it. 20,40, and 80 for me were horrible. I wanted to do that fire prevention contest maybe 5 or 6 stations...I could bearly hear the guy in PA nevermind the others.

chrissim

I need luck for the V73D (Marshall Isl) dxpedition. Haven't heard them yet on phone even though the prop charts tell me I should. Came close on RTTY but their signal wasn't stable enough to attempt contact.
This is an instance where a beam would be beneficial.

AC2OY

Chris was he on earlier? I was on for about 45 minutes maybe the noise level was so high for me I gave up. I only tried 20 and 40. I see spots on 10 and a few other bands but I hear nothing. Something I thought was interesting,my antenna isn't supposed to really do 160 from what I read unless I use a tuner other than my internal. I can actually hear folks working CW or certain frequencies quite well. Good luck I hope you work that station!

chrissim

Michael:

The V73D dxpedition to Marshall will be on the air on some band almost constantly until October 28th. However, this is the first time in recent memory that I have been unable to hear any dxpedition of this size and magnitude. Marshall Isl isn't ultra rare, but it would be a new one for me so naturally I'd like to work it. Still have plenty of time left so one never knows. Unfortunately, they seem to be concentrating on CW, a mode that presents me with difficulty.

kj3n

Michael:

The V73D dxpedition to Marshall will be on the air on some band almost constantly until October 28th. However, this is the first time in recent memory that I have been unable to hear any dxpedition of this size and magnitude.

They were loud and clear on 30m RTTY this morning. However, just like TX3X, they worked JA after JA with almost no NA stations worked. One W5 made this comment on the cluster: "work after 547 calls".

Marshall Isl isn't ultra rare, but it would be a new one for me so naturally I'd like to work it. Still have plenty of time left so one never knows. Unfortunately, they seem to be concentrating on CW, a mode that presents me with difficulty.

T2GC drove me up the wall with their obsession with CW. It was only when they decided to get on RTTY on the 6th, that I worked them with just 2 calls. If you look at the stats, they spent 74% of their time on CW, 12% on SSB, and 14% on RTTY.

chrissim

Thanks for the heads up on 30 meters. I recently disassembled a ground plane for that specific band. I suppose I can put something up for it again this weekend.

Hope you work 'em.

I have to edit and add: I would do CW if I could "decode" it in my head. I have a very hard time doing so. I can fire it off pretty quickly though. What bugs me is as we move forward in time, the proliferation of digital modes, especially JT modes, would make sense in a dxpedition. I can't stand JT, but I would do it for a new one.

kj3n

Hope you work 'em.

Two hours and 600w of RTTY later, I finally get them this morning on 20m @ 14:02z.

I have to edit and add: I would do CW if I could "decode" it in my head. I have a very hard time doing so. I can fire it off pretty quickly though. What bugs me is as we move forward in time, the proliferation of digital modes, especially JT modes, would make sense in a dxpedition. I can't stand JT, but I would do it for a new one.

CW and I never got along. Ever.

I've made 2 CW contacts with DX-peditions. K1N on 160m, and Willis Island on 40m. using MixW on the computer. I did the Willis Island one as an experiment. Never thought it would work. I did K1N because I wanted another DXCC on 160m and they were not doing SSB on that band.

I will now wait for the inevitable cries of "that's cheating!!" from the CW purists. Bite me.

k9rzz

Am listening to V73D now on 3526khz. 559 into WI with my 20 meter dipole. *HUGE* pileup. :^)

Edit: also hearing them on 7183khz LSB. listening up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.