RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Making Contacts / On the Air

Making Contacts / On the Air - Have a question about getting on the air or how to make a contact? Just want to brag about your latest DX contact or contest score? This is the forum for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2016, 1:31 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

You're right, I was exaggerating the "DXCC-In-4-days" bit. I don't know where I came up with the 4 days, it seemed a good, round number- but it didn't take much to talk to 100+ countries, regardless. I never requested any QSL's from my contacts but I had a manager to be polite- my manager received them by the basket fulls. She would reply for me if there where URC's, SASE's, or "Green Stamps" (no Bureau acceptances)-- but I had no interest in the cards-- today I have nary a- one; .
Out of interest I just pulled out an old logbook from that time showing by the end of my stay on Enewetak,- that had I pursued this,- I could have gotten that award very easily.

There is a tremendous difference between going hunting and being the hunted. ( I had a friend in New Guinea- she and I would chat regularly on 14.345 LSB - even better 18.116,-- and to avoid the DX'ers finding us we hardly ever ID'd.) I spent years throughout in the Central and South Pacific-- to be honest, I got sick and tired of being chased as DX.

............................CF

Last edited by Coyote-Frostbyte; 03-06-2016 at 1:50 PM.. Reason: clarity
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2016, 9:01 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

A contact to me is simply communicating with another station.
I don't keep a log.
I don't seek out QSL's or electronic confirmations.
I got into amateur radio to communicate with other stations, no matter if they are across the globe or across the street.
I have never quite understood the emphasis so many put on DX.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:32 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I don't want to disparage those interested in DX'ing, for it definitely has a deep niche in ham radio. I like to say about DX'ing; "there is a big difference between being the hunter v.s the hunted-" and I will confess to a secret desire in getting on the air from some sand pile in the middle of No-Where and creating a pile up--- does wonders for your ego! But the 15 second "59 name is XYZ" gets old very very! fast. On the other hand, I feel an almost obligation to at least try to work as many of these DX'er stations (as I have energy for) because I know how important that contact is to their enjoyment of the hobby... and I strive to slow down each exchange and make each one as personnel (though often quite short) as possible... after all, I have to enjoy the hobby too. One thing I will never do, is make the DX operation about me- I want each contact to remember our chat, and not that they hooked some rare DX-pedition-type- jerk that only had time for a "...Again?...five nine, Again...say again..." exchange.

Like you too Fasteddy, I enjoy talking to stations where ever they are- using it to communicate with friends while all over the world --though today, unless you are into pulsed microwave you are not likely to ever hear me-- but that's what makes this all neat, No?

..............CF
Old 03-24-2016, 4:01 PM

Very well put Coyote-Frostbite. Sounds like what I do on HF.