10 Meter openings today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kma371

QRT
Question. It's not uncommon for 10 meters to be "open" to some degree. So why the need for posts? I'm just trying to understand the point.

TheSpaceMann

Question. It's not uncommon for 10 meters to be "open" to some degree. So why the need for posts? I'm just trying to understand the point.
Because some days it's a lot more "open" than others! New Techs, QRP operators, and individuals with compromised antennas can take advantage of enhanced propagation! :)

kma371

QRT
Because some days it's a lot more "open" than others! New Techs, QRP operators, and individuals with compromised antennas can take advantage of enhanced propagation! :)

Ok I get that, but just because it may be open where you are (wherever that is since your location is not listed) doesn't mean it's open where I am. So do we really need blanket posts telling us about band openings? With zero other information?

TheSpaceMann

Ok I get that, but just because it may be open where you are (wherever that is since your location is not listed) doesn't mean it's open where I am. So do we really need blanket posts telling us about band openings? With zero other information?
To the contrary! I have also posted propagation links to websites like QSO/SWL real time maps and lists so that individuals can see if there is a band opening near their particular location! You have to understand that many of the newer hams have absolutely no experience with HF propagation, and those new Techs (who may be using 10 meters for the first time) could really benefit from information supplied by us old timers who have been there!! :)

kma371

QRT
To the contrary, look at the first two posts in this thread. How are those posts helpful?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I tend to agree. Simply saying that 10m is open without indicating where the reporter's receiver is located isn't all that helpful.

KE7JHC

Was in west Texas on Friday and heard stations calling from Miami, although I couldn't make the trip. I'll keep 28.400 up and running today with hopes that it's going to be an active day.

TheSpaceMann

To the contrary, look at the first two posts in this thread. How are those posts helpful?
To a new Tech ham who is anxious to experience activity on 10, it can be very helpful! 10 meters has been quiet for an extended period of time lately, so being alerted to somewhat rare and infrequent band openings may give the newbie a chance to finally make some contacts! When I first started, 10M was dead since it was the bottom of the cycle. An online post alerted me to a rare band opening, and I was thrilled to finally make my first bunch of contacts on the band!! :)

kma371

QRT
To a new Tech ham who is anxious to experience activity on 10, it can be very helpful! 10 meters has been quiet for an extended period of time lately, so being alerted to somewhat rare and infrequent band openings may give the newbie a chance to finally make some contacts! When I first started, 10M was dead since it was the bottom of the cycle. An online post alerted me to a rare band opening, and I was thrilled to finally make my first bunch of contacts on the band!! :)

I don't think you're getting it.

I understand band opening posts can be helpful. The point I'm trying to make is your posts of "the band is open" or whatever is not helpful AT ALL. You're band opening is not my band opening. I bet the original post that alerted you didn't say "the band is open" and that's all right?

Be a little more descriptive. Tell us where you are. Tell us who you are hearing. Tell us where they are. What frequency? What mode?

bharvey2

Be a little more descriptive. Tell us where you are. Tell us who you are hearing. Tell us where they are. What frequency? What mode?

I agree with that. I see guys on the east coast who are excited about the openings around them. I, on the west coast however, cant' make a 10M contact any further that I can throw my radio (or tempted to throw it.) I get better information from a CB freebander at work in many instances.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheSpaceMann

I don't think you're getting it.

I understand band opening posts can be helpful. The point I'm trying to make is your posts of "the band is open" or whatever is not helpful AT ALL. You're band opening is not my band opening. I bet the original post that alerted you didn't say "the band is open" and that's all right?

Well the original post that I saw said something like "10 meters seems to be open, making contacts across the country now", but you have made a very good point! I will be sure to be a lot more specific about the areas in question from now on. I'll also make sure to post links to propagation maps and other related sites!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Well the original post that I saw said something like "10 meters seems to be open, making contacts across the country now"...
So, are you saying that the post you started this thread with was not your personal observation, but a re-post of something you saw somewhere else?

Status
Not open for further replies.