10 Meter openings today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I took a look earlier.. Heard a bunch of East coast beacons between 28.200 and 28.300 Not much chatter though. I guess when everyone thinks 10 is closed they don't bother going there :)

What's interesting is that I'm hearing a few stations on 6 meters right now. A couple of Arizona stations chatting with each other. and the W5GPM beacon out of Oklahoma on 50.065

Edit: Darn... I grabbed my microphone, fired up my logging program and poof.. Six went dead. Like someone shut off a switch :(

TheSpaceMann

I took a look earlier.. Heard a bunch of East coast beacons between 28.200 and 28.300 Not much chatter though. I guess when everyone thinks 10 is closed they don't bother going there :)

What's interesting is that I'm hearing a few stations on 6 meters right now. A couple of Arizona stations chatting with each other. and the W5GPM beacon out of Oklahoma on 50.065

Edit: Darn... I grabbed my microphone, fired up my logging program and poof.. Six went dead. Like someone shut off a switch :(
Just chatted with a fella in North Carolina on 10 meters. I'm in Connecticut using a Uniden HR 2510 with a L'il will CB antenna indoors, on the first floor of a hotel! When 10 meters is open, anything can happen!! :)

potbellyperch

Yes Last nite I had a late nite @ it didnt get to bed after midnite I heard a dude call cq cq -dx but didnt have a radio to get back to him. I had a ant.. I call my 4 bedroom wall ant.
He was coming in at Q3 toQ 4
but no one came back to him
28.425 & a few more contacts we on 28. 370

TheSpaceMann

Yes Last nite I had a late nite @ it didnt get to bed after midnite I heard a dude call cq cq -dx but didnt have a radio to get back to him. I had a ant.. I call my 4 bedroom wall ant.
10 meters open again on the East coast at 8:30 PM Eastern time. Lots of people breaking the squelch on 11 meters 38 LSB as well!

AC2OY

Potbelly where was his QTH? I see your in Uthica NY but wondering where he was calling from?

AC2OY

Roger that New York State to Georgia is not bad! Where you doing this on a HT or a base rig? How many watts were you running? So far my best was New Jersey to South Africa running a hundred watts! I have the QSL card to prove it!! Ham radio is fun!!

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Roger that New York State to Georgia is not bad! Where you doing this on a HT or a base rig? How many watts were you running? So far my best was New Jersey to South Africa running a hundred watts! I have the QSL card to prove it!! Ham radio is fun!!

100 Watts on 10 meters is major power when the band is open.

5 Watt CW beacons in the 28.200 to 28.300 band can be heard worldwide. Last month I heard an 8 Watt beacon from New Zealand.

I have a 10 mW (1/100th of a Watt transmitter). It uses a computer clock chip and nothing else to generate a signal on the 10 meter CW QRP frequency (28.060 Mhz).

In the image below, the clock chip is on the bottom, above that is an attenuator to calibrate the device.. (You put an LED across the output and adjust it so the light just flickers). The big blue box on top is a keying relay. One thick grey wire goes to the radio and the other to the antenna. The red and black pair go to 5 volts and the blue and black go to the key.

When I was in Winnipeg Canada, I worked stations in California, Oregon and New York with the thing using 4 AAA batteries to power it. The antenna was a three element Yagi up 40 feet.

Attachments

• qrp-10m.jpg
    qrp-10m.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 366

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
100 Watts on 10 meters is major power when the band is open.

5 Watt CW beacons in the 28.200 to 28.300 band can be heard worldwide. Last month I heard an 8 Watt beacon from New Zealand.

I have a 10 mW (1/100th of a Watt transmitter). It uses a computer clock chip and nothing else to generate a signal on the 10 meter CW QRP frequency (28.060 Mhz).

In the image below, the clock chip is on the bottom, above that is an attenuator to calibrate the device.. (You put an LED across the output and adjust it so the light just flickers). The big blue box on top is a keying relay. One thick grey wire goes to the radio and the other to the antenna. The red and black pair go to 5 volts and the blue and black go to the key.

When I was in Winnipeg Canada, I worked stations in California, Oregon and New York with the thing using 4 AAA batteries to power it. The antenna was a three element Yagi up 40 feet.
Thanks for the Info and Photos for the project going to start working on this asap 73's.....

Status
Not open for further replies.