RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Making Contacts / On the Air

Making Contacts / On the Air - Have a question about getting on the air or how to make a contact? Just want to brag about your latest DX contact or contest score? This is the forum for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2016, 1:44 AM

Default 2 Meter Band Opening!!

Big 2m band opening on the East coast today at 2:30 AM EDT!!
Sponsored links
Old 06-26-2016, 7:32 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpaceMann View Post

I tried to CQ this morning while mobile, on my way to headquarters. I was on VHF Call, 146.520 MHz this morning around 0900 Zulu (5 am local) but I was unable to contact anyone. I figure the bands either closed up, or I was the only station monitoring.

Yesterday I was copying stations from Maryville, TN and Cleveland, TN, while mobile around the Knoxville area. They were preparing for Field Day and moving to alternate frequencies to QSO.

Andrew | N2AL
www.n4awl.com

Andrew | N2AL
Nurture your mind with great thought. To believe in the heroic makes heroes. - Benjamin Disraeli
Old 06-26-2016, 7:53 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

still looking good at 9am Sunday
VHF Propagation Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpaceMann View Post
Old 06-27-2016, 2:35 AM

Huge 2M band opening East coast 3 AM EDT!!
Old 07-19-2016, 12:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Weak signal work is mostly SSB (single side band) and around the SSB calling frequency of 144.200 Mhz. Two meters can be open for SSB and other weak signal modes and signals are still not enough to break a squelch or make FM reliable.

It can be worth a try but if you want to go for distance, get a rig that works SSB-you will find a whole new world. Antennas are also usually horizontally polarized rather than the vertical for FM. The path loss trying to work horizontal with a vertical is around 25 db if I remember. Of course, polarization is less a factor once a signal 'bounces'.

Sponsored links
Old 07-19-2016, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyShack View Post
Weak signal work is mostly SSB (single side band) and around the SSB calling frequency of 144.200 Mhz. Two meters can be open for SSB and other weak signal modes and signals are still not enough to break a squelch or make FM reliable.

It can be worth a try but if you want to go for distance, get a rig that works SSB-you will find a whole new world. Antennas are also usually horizontally polarized rather than the vertical for FM. The path loss trying to work horizontal with a vertical is around 25 db if I remember. Of course, polarization is less a factor once a signal 'bounces'.

Good points, and a small 2 meter beam can work wonders when the VHF band opens up!
Old 07-19-2016, 5:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Although FM, it is interesting how many APRS stations show up when the band opens.
Old 07-19-2016, 5:24 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8prr View Post
Although FM, it is interesting how many APRS stations show up when the band opens.
Direct, or hopping through digipeaters?

During certain times of year and certain times of day, you can sit in Indianapolis and see APRS position reports from stations in Michigan. Those reports are hitting a digipeater in southern Michigan which is then heard by a high-profile digipeater in Indianapolis.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU