RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Making Contacts / On the Air

Making Contacts / On the Air - Have a question about getting on the air or how to make a contact? Just want to brag about your latest DX contact or contest score? This is the forum for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 12:13 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Perseid meteor shower tonight

Tonight (8/11-12) is supposed to be a spectacular night for the Perseid meteor shower, a much better-than-average one. It's very likely that some great six meter contacts can be made, even with just an omnidirectional antenna.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbswetnam View Post
Tonight (8/11-12) is supposed to be a spectacular night for the Perseid meteor shower, a much better-than-average one. It's very likely that some great six meter contacts can be made, even with just an omnidirectional antenna.
Thank you for the tip! I'll put my 6 meter station back together when I get home and point northeast and listen/call CQ, I have an IC-751A, a Downeast Microwave transverter, a Mirage "brick" amp, and a 3 element M2 antenna for it, but it's mostly disassembled across my bench.

Would love to give digital a go. Wish I knew more about JT65. Every time I look into it, the ops seem very strict, almost like "no soup for you!" strict.
Old 08-11-2016, 3:53 PM

Yea, thanks for the heads up. I have a 5 element 24ft boom 6m Yagi and 500w that needs to get some use.
prcguy
Old 08-12-2016, 9:08 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I listened for several hours last night on 50.125 USB but I didn't hear anything. Oh well.
Old 08-12-2016, 9:31 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I tuned around, too. Called CQ a few times and tried CW. Just heard noise.

I need to get an SDR with a waterfall display to look at the lower portion of the band so I can see if there's any activity. If there was, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2016, 10:33 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

You might want to keep an eye on this, it was interesting last night/this morning.

Listen live to meteors radio echoes

Mike

Providing ADS-B data from NW Ohio for http://www.flightradar24.com
Old 08-12-2016, 10:43 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdulrich View Post
You might want to keep an eye on this, it was interesting last night/this morning.

Listen live to meteors radio echoes

Mike
I can't bring up the flash player, but seems interesting. I'm trying to remember where I read it, but there was a high power military transmitter somewhere around Texas or Louisiana that pointed upwards and some people a few hundred miles away had a yagi pointed up, too, listening for pings from that.

With a discone and RG-8X KS0S is really trying hard not to be heard
Old 08-12-2016, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbswetnam View Post
I listened for several hours last night on 50.125 USB but I didn't hear anything. Oh well.
There was some action on 10 meters!
Old 08-12-2016, 8:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

By my experience, reflections off meteor trails are usually very short duration. They go from about half a second to a couple of seconds. You don't hear any regular signals like you do with an E opening. You can't use SSB.

I've never actually communicated using meteor trails, but when there is an active meteor shower, I point my beam to the K0KP beacon in Duluth Minnesota. It runs 100 Watts and is too close for E skip. The only time I can hear it is during an aurora event, or via meteor trails.

When I do this, I hear bursts of CW come out of the noise as the ionized meteor trails flash across the sky. I might hear a few short dits and dahs, up to being able to copy the whole call sign of the beacon.

I've had the radio on for about 10 minutes listening on 50.073.. Can't hear anything yet.

I sometimes follow DXmaps.. They show meteor scatter contacts (MS) as blue lines. http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?...XC=N&HF=N&GL=N

Last edited by jwt873; 08-12-2016 at 8:59 PM..
Sponsored links