Perseid meteor shower tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

Tonight (8/11-12) is supposed to be a spectacular night for the Perseid meteor shower, a much better-than-average one. It's very likely that some great six meter contacts can be made, even with just an omnidirectional antenna.

Tonight (8/11-12) is supposed to be a spectacular night for the Perseid meteor shower, a much better-than-average one. It's very likely that some great six meter contacts can be made, even with just an omnidirectional antenna.

Thank you for the tip! I'll put my 6 meter station back together when I get home and point northeast and listen/call CQ, I have an IC-751A, a Downeast Microwave transverter, a Mirage "brick" amp, and a 3 element M2 antenna for it, but it's mostly disassembled across my bench.

Would love to give digital a go. Wish I knew more about JT65. Every time I look into it, the ops seem very strict, almost like "no soup for you!" strict.

I tuned around, too. Called CQ a few times and tried CW. Just heard noise.

I need to get an SDR with a waterfall display to look at the lower portion of the band so I can see if there's any activity. If there was, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

You might want to keep an eye on this, it was interesting last night/this morning.

Listen live to meteors radio echoes

Mike
I can't bring up the flash player, but seems interesting. I'm trying to remember where I read it, but there was a high power military transmitter somewhere around Texas or Louisiana that pointed upwards and some people a few hundred miles away had a yagi pointed up, too, listening for pings from that.

With a discone and RG-8X KS0S is really trying hard not to be heard :wink:

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
By my experience, reflections off meteor trails are usually very short duration. They go from about half a second to a couple of seconds. You don't hear any regular signals like you do with an E opening. You can't use SSB.

I've never actually communicated using meteor trails, but when there is an active meteor shower, I point my beam to the K0KP beacon in Duluth Minnesota. It runs 100 Watts and is too close for E skip. The only time I can hear it is during an aurora event, or via meteor trails.

When I do this, I hear bursts of CW come out of the noise as the ionized meteor trails flash across the sky. I might hear a few short dits and dahs, up to being able to copy the whole call sign of the beacon.

I've had the radio on for about 10 minutes listening on 50.073.. Can't hear anything yet.

I sometimes follow DXmaps.. They show meteor scatter contacts (MS) as blue lines. http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?Lan=E&Frec=50&ML=M&Map=NA&DXC=N&HF=N&GL=N

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.