Unkown Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rippey574

Well crap that website, I thought was a free linking place. I wasnt aware that you have to have an account to download it. Any one know a web site for free linking of files that wont make you create an account to download it?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Doesn't your ISP provide you with space on a web server? Every one I've ever had, did.

Anyway, at that frequency, if it isn't an NDB with a morse code ID, it's probably locally generated electrical noise. I haven't been able to download the file yet. "All servers busy".

Rippey574

Well I found a way to link it better. It didn't appear to be any local noise, as for it was only on that frequency. Im use to listing on very low frequencies, so I set up to reduce local noise when im scanning.
{link is dead} Go to http://rippey475.tripod.com/ it is the only link on the web site to start the FTP, as noted by others Tripod is full off pop ups.

Last edited:

Rippey574

Also forgot to add, listen all the way through it. You will know what im wondering about as you hear it. it is in the background but has a few burst points where its perty clear.

D

DaveNF2G

Well I found a way to link it better. It didn't appear to be any local noise, as for it was only on that frequency. Im use to listing on very low frequencies, so I set up to reduce local noise when im scanning.
http://rippey475.tripod.com/210KHZ.mp3

You need to fix your tagging. My browser tries to go to Think this link works now instead of the Tripod site.

Also, in case others are not aware, Tripod.com is loaded with popups. Make sure you have your blocker enabled.

EDIT: In any case, the link is specified incorrectly. I pasted the actual URL listed into my browser and once Tripod eventually comes up, nothing else happens. No mp3 file gets loaded.

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Long post. Bear with me. I was able to download the file by cutting and pasting the link into another browser window.

It's going to be impossible to identify that, but my suspicions are that it's an NDB signal that's just fading in and out. Or, perhaps, it's a broken one. I've seen that before. There's a couple of pieces of information missing that I rely on when I'm listening... One is, the precise tuning of the receiver. I prefer running in upper sideband, with the receiver on an odd or even KHz... i.e. 210.00 KHz. That way, the beat note from the modulated cw is at precisely whatever the actual tone frequency is that's applied to the transmitter. That's useful, because that's information that's available out there.

I also use a program called Spectran. Get it if you haven't already. My receiver (ITT Mackay 3041) is phase locked to a GPS and LORAN disciplined rubidium oscillator, so that the carrier will be at a precise known frequency. NDB's are almost always within a few hz on frequency. Noise is almost always fairly random in frequency. So... if I see a carrier at 210.00 KHz, it probably belongs there. If it's at 210.37 Hz, it probably doesn't. It would be helpful to know exactly what frequency the receiver was tuned to, and the mode - upper or lower sideband, etc.

In your recording, there's a constant tone at around 500 Hz, and another just below 2000 Hz. Neither of those appear to be related to the third tone that comes up, which is at around 1500 Hz.

Rippey574

I think I got the link corrected. I got a copy of Spectran, before i used Audacity 1.3 Beta (Unicode) for spectrometry and editing. I will play with Spectran a little later. The Fq I was listening on was 210.0Khz SSB probably upper, the scanner I have for the LF only says SSB, you tune it to lower or upper by bumping the dial up or down. It was recorded on 0273 UTC, 12.31.2008 UTC. What is NDB?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Oh don't bother with all those twists and turns, unless it's a huge file just ZIP it and post it here, go advanced.

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
What is NDB?

Non-Directional Beacon, which is the predominant signal on that piece of spectrum.

Ok, so the actual audio frequencies on your recording are essentially random, because the receiver tuning is somewhat imprecise. That's just one less piece of information to work with - not that there's a lot already.

Play with Spectran, and see if the signal is there some other night. Or maybe later at night. I find they start to peak after about 23:00 local when D layer absorption goes way down.

Rippey574

Non-Directional Beacon, which is the predominant signal on that piece of spectrum.

Ok, so the actual audio frequencies on your recording are essentially random, because the receiver tuning is somewhat imprecise. That's just one less piece of information to work with - not that there's a lot already.

Play with Spectran, and see if the signal is there some other night. Or maybe later at night. I find they start to peak after about 23:00 local when D layer absorption goes way down.

Well for the receiver.. It is probably imprecise compared to $1000 receivers, but it is digital, so far more accurate then tuning capacitors. So far I haven't got to play, redoing windows for a family member and its a headache right now.

Ill check out those other web sites later also.

Rippey574

Well, tonight, I haven't heard it. All im getting from 150-270 KHz is garbled mixed radio stations it sounds like. I like that program. Took me a few to get the logistics of it.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
All im getting from 150-270 KHz is garbled mixed radio stations it sounds like.

Radio stations? Sounds like you're getting overload from local broadcast stations. What are you using for a receiver and antenna?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"That's a funny sound file. But the file I have is around 2 megs (zipped)."

I thought you'd like it Mike, sometimes I just can't resist a clip of things I hear out there and sometimes they may suffer from, uh, subspace interference. On a more serious note you could learn a few things about working with a sound editing program. You can clip out and save portions that come in clear and/or delete portions that are unclear for better listening and a much smaller file. You can record at or convert to a lower bitrate to reduce the file size even further. One thing worth noting is TOO low a bitrate adds ringing distortion, hard to describe but you'll know it when you hear it. You can then save as mp3 which is a compressed format so the 2M can be trimmed back to a few K. You don't need CD quality recording for our purposes so there's no point in huge files and zipping it won't compress it significantly because it's already compressed, it only gets it past RR's file type software filters.

Rippey574

The radio I used for that is a Grundig G6 Aviator. Ya, I was able to later sort it out on the computer, It is an overload. I am trying to make a filter to "short out" the local stations. I am using a H-Brew J-pole and RG8U coax for antenna.

I do have audio editors and im perty good at it, just didnt mess with it at the time. I like to do CD quality that way you can hear it as i hear it.

K2GOG

that must be one really long J-Pole if your using it at 210Khz :)

I have a Grundig G5, and do get reception of NDBs down on LF as well, but are much harder to pull in. Radios in this class are not great down in the basement of HF I have found. I get a ton of images from BCB AM also.

It is pretty much a night and day difference when going to a general coverage HF ham rig or other radio that is a bit better then a portable unit like what you have. Maybe you can check within your local forum to see if anyone else with a slightly better radio and antenna for that range can give a listen and report back.

best of luck

+

The radio I used for that is a Grundig G6 Aviator. Ya, I was able to later sort it out on the computer, It is an overload. I am trying to make a filter to "short out" the local stations. I am using a H-Brew J-pole and RG8U coax for antenna.

I do have audio editors and im perty good at it, just didnt mess with it at the time. I like to do CD quality that way you can hear it as i hear it.

Rippey574

The J-pole isnt meant for that Fq. I just use the center cable of the coax and unground the ground and use the long lenth of the cable and the surface area of the j-pole for random wire antena . Suprisinly it works well. I have been reciveing coast gaurd weather faxes with it. Hopefully I will have a better radio soon. i have now gottom my ham radio lisnce.
that must be one really long J-Pole if your using it at 210Khz :)

I have a Grundig G5, and do get reception of NDBs down on LF as well, but are much harder to pull in. Radios in this class are not great down in the basement of HF I have found. I get a ton of images from BCB AM also.

It is pretty much a night and day difference when going to a general coverage HF ham rig or other radio that is a bit better then a portable unit like what you have. Maybe you can check within your local forum to see if anyone else with a slightly better radio and antenna for that range can give a listen and report back.

best of luck

+

lanbergld

Would love to hear this file if you can upload it. I spend a lot of time, at night, on longwave. For what it might be worth, I get some interesting tones on specific longwave freqs -- which coincide perfectly with the elevator landing on my floor & its door opening also. (And a different, more interesting wave of sound when the elevator takes off...) Some of what's heard on longwave are unintentional radiators.

Larry Lanberg
Richmond VA

Status
Not open for further replies.