Quick marine noobie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ObiHann

I picked up a VHF marine band radio, and I got a question, my radio goes in channels, 1-86 I think. What I read on here is most are in frequencies, not channels. So is it just that I have a different radio for a different type of communication?

W6KRU

I picked up a VHF marine band radio, and I got a question, my radio goes in channels, 1-86 I think. What I read on here is most are in frequencies, not channels. So is it just that I have a different radio for a different type of communication?

Nope. Marine VHF is channelized. Your radio is normal.

ObiHann

So when people on the marine category talk about frequency's, what radios are they using, and what are they listening to? Just standard VHF?

W6KRU

So when people on the marine category talk about frequency's, what radios are they using, and what are they listening to? Just standard VHF?

Well that could be a few things. The coast guard has frequencies that are not in the standard Marine VHF channels. Your marine radio is not capable of non-channelized operation or it would not be legal for marine use.

ObiHann

So for them would I need a analog vhf scanner? since you guys talk about frequencies, they arnt truncated I take it? Can you give me a idea of what radio I would use?

W6KRU

So for them would I need a analog vhf scanner? since you guys talk about frequencies, they arnt truncated I take it? Can you give me a idea of what radio I would use?

I'm not sure about the services in your area. You need to explore the wiki on this site.

Start here: Marine VHF Channels - The RadioReference Wiki

Then go here: United States Coast Guard - The RadioReference Wiki

There is also information for Nova Scotia in the database.

Nova Scotia Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

That should give an idea for the frequencies you have shown an interest in so far. Then go to the scanner page in the wiki and find an appropriate scanner for your needs.

Category:Conventional Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

rvictor

No, your radio just uses a different way to refer to those channels/frequencies. Each channel on a marine radio has a corresponding frequency. Marine users generally refer to them by the channel numbers because that's how their radios are set up. Scanning enthusiasts generally refer to them by frequency since that's how our radios designate them. For example, someone listening to marine channel 16 will hear the same thing as someone listening on vhf frequency 156.800 Mhz.

There are, of course, some marine communications that take place on frequencies other than the standard channels included on standard marine radios and users of those radios won't be able to hear those frequencies.

Dick

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
High Frequency is used for maritime communications and it is often referred to by frequency such as 5.596 upper side band. They are essentially short wave frequencies.

ctadam12

Also, when you hear the Coast Guard conduct their regular scheduled marine information broadcast, you will hear them say "shift to channel 22A, 157.1mhz. 22A is 157.1 and 157.1 is 22A. Just another way of saying the same thing. I suggest you obtain a frequency/channel list. And remember to use channel 16 for DISTRESS ONLY, and stay off USCG working freqs. Thanks.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Oh good grief, EVERY marine frequency has a channel number including HF! Of course the USCG uses standard marine channels, how else could boaters communicate with them? People get with it, you're so full of misinformation it's inedible so my suggestion is Google "marine channels frequencies" and get them straight from the Coast Guard and the ITU.

Editor's note: I did not misspell "incredible".

ecps92

Warren you should try Balsa wood, it's easier on the forehead. :p

Oh good grief, EVERY marine frequency has a channel number including HF! Of course the USCG uses standard marine channels, how else could boaters communicate with them? People get with it, you're so full of misinformation it's inedible so my suggestion is Google "marine channels frequencies" and get them straight from the Coast Guard and the ITU.

Editor's note: I did not misspell "incredible".

NML-21

Here is a list of VHF marine channels and their frequencies (including the AIS frequencies)
U.S. VHF Channels - USCG Navigation Center

As far as why "we" say "shift and listen 2 2 alpha 157.1 mhz ...out

is because of the amount of commercial traffic that the US gets from over seas. Most of the radios used on foreign vessels are not bought in the US. Some of them, you have to manually enter the frequency.

Also, although you may never hear it within the US unless you live near the boarder, you also may hear

22 India which is the international frequency for 22, which is 157.1 TX and 161.700 RX.

here is a list of international marine frequencies
Marine USA and International VHF-FM Channels

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.