mobile marine VHF radio comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

salcia

I am new to mobile marine VHF radios. I am looking at the Vertex vx-4200 and the Kenwood TK-7150. I think Vertex was around $430 and the Kenwood around $750. Being new to marine radios, I"m not sure about the features of one radio to the other, which are good and which are just bells/whistles and don't have much of a purpose. I would appreciate any input you would have as to which radio is worth its weight. Also, what antenna would you recommend for the best performance. This unit will be installed in a vehicle. Thank you again for your input.

thomas724

Ok well this is just me The Vertex if you have room ie height is ok The kenwood is not t true marine radio but, if you want to spend your money.
When I put a mobile marine radio in my vehicle I will go with either of these units
Uniden Solara
Uniden Oceanus
or the Icom M302 as for an antenna I'll just buy a proper one as this antenna can get the freq's railways use as well
Thomas

N

N_Jay

I don't think either one of those is a Marine Radio. (Vertex vx-4200 and the Kenwood TK-7150)

hill

Premium Subscriber
Why do you wish to mount a marine radio in a Vehicle? Marine radios aren’t to be used on land with very few exceptions. I don’t why you would purchase these radios and not a VHF-FM marine radio which are cheaper.

Larry

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I don't think either one of those is a Marine Radio. (Vertex vx-4200 and the Kenwood TK-7150)

doesn't matter as long as they are type certified for marine radio use, a simple check of the FCC OET website by the FCC ID will tell you if they can legally be used on marine for TRANSMIT, either one could be used for RX only without legal troubles.

Most newer Kenwood VHF portables (e.g. TK-2180) are type certified for part 80. Not sure about the mobiles.

salcia

My mistake, I should have also stated the following. The reason for a vehicle installation is the radio will be used, eventually, as a Coast Guard Land Mobile Radio Facility and will need to transmit and received Coast Guard and Marine VHF Frequencies. Sorry about that, should have put that in my first post.

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Marine radio comparison

I am in the U.S.C.G-AUX & I have had the ICOM M602, M604 & the Standard Horizon GX3500S in my truck, Eventually I settled on the UNIDEN UM525 which retails for $200.00, very simple to use & a larger display then the other transceivers that cost twice as much. To better aquaint yourself with any of these transceivers features log onto the appropriate brands websites.
Good luck.
FLRAILMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.