Ships at sea

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecps92

First, not all ships [pleasure craft] have/use AIS.

Also, not all areas are covered. example: Altho listed, with a Cape Cod site, it hasn't shared data in approx 2 mo's
yet a new Rhode Island site has appeared and Boston has good coverage but nothing listed for an actual Site until Portland Maine.

What you will find is many of the Larger Cargo/Tanker/Cruise Ships
and a the Larger Yachts.

As for Military, I have found they are used ONLY when approaching Port [CG Interop / Port Control] and then many are Unlisted on AIS or use Odd Names. You might find a few in the Foreign Ports, but few are listed in US ports once they reach Dock :)

I was trying to find some of my old Navy ships. They weren't listed.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Below is a link to the rules for AIS from the USCG . Not just oceangoing ships that are required to have AIS in use. Most tugs are required to have this installed aboard. I see a lot of tugs in my local port area via AIS data on Shipplotter. Not many pleasure boats using AIS at this time.

You won't find many military vessels using AIS. Some Commanding Officers many use AIS when entering or leaving port, but will turn it off quickly when in open waters. These vessels don't wish to broadcast to the whole world their positions

Automatic Identification System IMO Carriage Requirments - USCG Navigation Center

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.