Encryption on CH68?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6KRU

Is encryption legal on CH68? I've googled and searched this forum and didn't find anything relevant.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Do you mean encryption or scrambling? There shouldn't be any on us marine channels,but then in the real world why not?
N9ZAS

W6KRU

Do you mean encryption or scrambling? There shouldn't be any on us marine channels,but then in the real world why not?
N9ZAS

You are correct, it is really scrambling. I didn't think it was legal but I failed to find proof on the net.

D

DaveNF2G

scrambling = encryption

The answer would be in Part 80 of the FCC Regulations.

MSM_Maria

Hm, ordinary marimans used scremblers SAILOR series, but without records it is not define ofcourse.

RayAir

Yes they are legal, ICOM makes marine radios with built-in voice scramblers. One such radio, IC-M72 has a built in 32 code scrambler. I am guessing it would be split band scrambling since their are 32 possible split points for split band scrambling. They also make fixed inversion and hopping split band scramblers that can be put in marine radios.

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Encryption on Chan. 68

No it's not encryption, it's scrambling & it's legal on the VHF marine band, This was covered 14 post earlier on 07/07/09 on this forum. I have a Uniden UM525, an ICOM M604 & a Standard Horizon GX3500S which all have scrambling capability available as an option. If you have a West Marine store near you & the sales associates are friendly & if they have a couple of radios with the scrambling upgrade, they will show you how it works. I opted out of that as an option, not worth the money & not enough mariners to use it with anyway. In Florida a lot of Fleet ships & fishermen use that capabilty to communicate with one another mostly to keep the good fishing spots amongts themselves, then of course the inland hunters & druggies have caught on to this end user available technology & are milking it for all it's worth, so much for ruining a good thing.

Home - Icom America

Welcome to StandardHorizon.com

Uniden | A World Without Wires

FLRAILMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.