Marine raido great lakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicago2210

Hi, I would like to know why in the great lakes area particularly on Lake Michigan why when listing to marine CH 23 A I hear the Coast Guard, but only one side of the conservation, it it encryption, or am I just out of range? Also dose the CPD marine unit, Conversation Police and Lake county Sheriff marine unit ever come up on the marine radio? I have not hear them come up once on them. Please let me know thank you.

DPD1

You're most likely just out of range from the other party. Just about anybody on the water should be on VHF at some point. You probably just haven't found the freq they use. If you can do UHF air, you might get some CG stuff on that.

freqs

The police marine div (at least in my location) use marine radios to talk to other boaters .If its police related they will use police radio's like they do on the road .So check county or city police freqs .Police marine unit's will go by PB 1 PB 2 or the like .see if that helps

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Marine radio/Great Lakes

All the information you seek is in the RR database for Chicago City, the police operate on a number of vhf marine channels. Also check the RR WIKI under miltary & the new U.S.C.G uhf aviation frequencies are listed therin. When you say you are hearing one side of the conversation on vhf marine channel 23A, is it the coast station? If that's the case the watercraft are probably out of your scanners receiving range, watercraft transceivers are only 25 watts & they can switch to only 1 watt for low power applications & the portables output varies from 1 to 6 watts depending on the needs of the user. Also watercraft are at sea level which is the lowest transmitting point anywhere. You have be in very close proximity to the shore to recieve units operating at such low power. Maybe you need to look into an outside antenna application for increased reception range, if you have additional questions, feel free to ask & someone will gladly assist you. Good luck.

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
One sided conversation

Hi, I would like to know why in the great lakes area particularly on Lake Michigan why when listing to marine CH 23 A I hear the Coast Guard, but only one side of the conservation, it it encryption, or am I just out of range? Also dose the CPD marine unit, Conversation Police and Lake county Sheriff marine unit ever come up on the marine radio? I have not hear them come up once on them. Please let me know thank you.

When I read this, the thought crossed my mind that I have read or heard somewhere that the Coast Guard sometimes operates duplex to each other. What I mean, they are talking and listening on two different freqs.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Channel 23A is simplex. All channels with an A are USA channels. All CG working channels in the VHF-FM marine band are simplex. Most likely you are just out of range of the vessels. You have remember that the CG uses very high towers and would cover a large area. The vessels are limited in their antenna height and if you want to receive them will have increase or update the antenna on your end.

Hope that helps you out.

ihcollector

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.110 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/-1 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.0)

Lake Co Sheriff and Chicago PD use their own frequencies. They only use the marine radio to talk to boaters or USCG

Chicago2210

During Maritime information brodcasts I noticed that the watchstander always ends sirten transmitions with "break?" What dose this mean please let me know thank you.

ecps92

"Let me pause and catch my breath"

a pause to indicate the traffic related to that "incident" or "rule/regulation" or "portion of the broadcast" has ended. We now move onto the next peice of radio traffic

During Maritime information brodcasts I noticed that the watchstander always ends sirten transmitions with "break?" What dose this mean please let me know thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.