Marine Radios in Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know about the legality of putting a Marine radio (Radio meant for a boat) in a car (land based vehicle). I live on the river and I am a naval cadet, so many times I am in my personal car needing to communicate with a vessel on the water. Am I allowed to install a VHF Marine Radio in my car?

Markinsac

Licenses aboard pleasure craft navigating inland waters or near shore aren't required to have a license. This covers the vessel and its associated radios.

Unforunately, it appears that a ground-based radio will require a marine utility station license as it is not based on craft subject to the normal inspections. I would think that any portable or mobile licenses would fall under this area. Check FCC Regulations Section 80, especially 80.17, for more information.

n8emr

Mounting a marine radio in the car is not the issue. Transmitting with the radio is. Unless your on the water (NOT NEAR IT) you cant use a marine radio without a shore use license. This applies to portables as well.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Mounting a marine radio in the car is not the issue. Transmitting with the radio is. Unless your on the water (NOT NEAR IT) you cant use a marine radio without a shore use license. This applies to portables as well.

[rant]
Tell that to the plethora of bear hunters up here that use marine radios to chit-chat on.
[/rant]

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
[rant]
Tell that to the plethora of bear hunters up here that use marine radios to chit-chat on.

[/rant]

Yeah,but wait a minute. Bears can swim right?:lol:
Sorry,I'll let that one slide!:twisted:
N9ZAS

D

DaveNF2G

As a resident of Waterford, I am unaware of any Naval academies in the Stillwater area.

Why would a naval cadet ask a question about rules & regs to a bunch of hobbyists instead of via his command and training structure? Looks like a troll to me.

The reason I asked is because I am invovled in many marine activities (civilian and military) on Lake Champlain, as well as the Hudson an Mohawk Riviers. I am not a member of a naval academy or school, but a cadet program similar to JROTC and CAP. Also, this wasn't a question of rules and regulations for my program, but of the local/state/federal laws and FCC regulations pertaining to the topic. I hope that satisifes your questions, Mr. Stark.

D

DaveNF2G

If you belong to an official program, then you should have an official way to find out what you may and may not do in connection with that program.

FLRAILMAN

Banned
Marine radios in cars

I belong to the USCG Auxiliary & I have a Uniden UM525 VHF marine transceiver in my truck & a Uniden Mystic portable when I am shoreside but I haven't been officially authorized to use either unit even on asignments because you have to take a training course & be certified on any & all equipment in your possesion, I chose not to get into that because there is a lot of responsibilty & aggravation that goes along with being a certified comms officer & all I really purchased them for was for monitoring purposes on my own terms. So the answer to your question is, yes you can purchase, posses & install marine radio equipment in you residence and/or vehicle, however if you choose to start transmitting on same, you damn well better have a very valid reason (NOT EXCUSE) to engage in that activity. Treat it as it should be in those circumstances, a high end scanner & you will stay within the limits any & all applicable local laws, please keep in mind that if you are a CAP member, you are under the umbrella of Homeland Security as I am with USCG Aux. so you have to find out what their guidelines are as they apply to your situation, however as Dave said in his post, you should be addressing this question to your superior officers. Good luck.

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:

wheelerg

Premium Subscriber
If you belong to an official program, then you should have an official way to find out what you may and may not do in connection with that program.

My god, just let him ask his question and if for some reason you don't want to give him any info? than fine, don't, i'm not a radio tech or a forum junkie but do enjoy the exchange of info with other hobbyist's, It may sound fishy to you, but maybe, just maybe, he is a sincere person asking a sincere question?
ok, i'm done and i'll shut up now.

Gary

hill

Premium Subscriber
I feel that it would be bad idea to purchase and install a VHF-FM marine radio in a personal vehicle without having a need. Maybe one or two brief transmissions would slip under the radar and go unnoticed, but with this radio you can cause major problems to the authorized users of the marine band. All radio services have trouble with a keyed mics from time to time and it very easy in a mobile environment to accidentally transmit. You could would facing many legal troubles if you interfered with certain transmissions on the marine radio and I don't think you would want that to occur. It is best to forgo this radio installation at this time, since with a radio that you can transmit on it is very temping to abuse. Please, just get a scanner to monitor the marine band.

I too am a member of USCG Auxiliary and have mobile radio facility. Currently serving as appointed communications officer at sector level and one who trains members on radio, plus inspects land radio facilities. CG AUX and military radio operations fall under NTIA while non-government users are regulated by the FCC.

I guess you question about state or local law is on radio gear being installed in vehicles. You would have check your state's code for this information, but the only laws I have heard of are on scanners.

All information in this post is my personal opinions.

gewecke

Banned
I feel that it would be bad idea to purchase and install a VHF-FM marine radio in a personal vehicle without having a need. Maybe one or two brief transmissions would slip under the radar and go unnoticed, but with this radio you can cause major problems to the authorized users of the marine band. All radio services have trouble with a keyed mics from time to time and it very easy in a mobile environment to accidentally transmit. You could would facing many legal troubles if you interfered with certain transmissions on the marine radio and I don't think you would want that to occur. It is best to forgo this radio installation at this time, since with a radio that you can transmit on it is very temping to abuse. Please, just get a scanner to monitor the marine band.

I too am a member of USCG Auxiliary and have mobile radio facility. Currently serving as appointed communications officer at sector level and one who trains members on radio, plus inspects land radio facilities. CG AUX and military radio operations fall under NTIA while non-government users are regulated by the FCC.

I guess you question about state or local law is on radio gear being installed in vehicles. You would have check your state's code for this information, but the only laws I have heard of are on scanners.

All information in this post is my personal opinions.

I agree. After all you wouldn't install an NAVCOM transponder in a car would you?:roll: Why should be obvious,right? The same principle applies here.
Unless someone has a deepset need to piss off the uscg,a scanner will allow you to listen to marine traffic to your hearts content.
N9ZAS

hill

Premium Subscriber
Not to change the subject, but the Civil Air Patrol (CAP) is not under Homeland Security. It is the U.S. Air Force Auxiliary.

Thank you to all of those who gave me good information on my questions. To those of you who felt the need to tear apart my words in search of conflict, shame on you. Forum Police are not needed. Sometimes you treat people with rudeness and unneeded labeling, using phrases like "whacker". Get off the internet people, and spend some time with your families.

Larry M. clear.

FLRAILMAN

Banned
Marine radios in cars

Larry, I hope you were not referring to my posted reply to your query, if it in anyway made you feel uncomfortable, for that I sincerely apologize for that never was my intent, I've stated many times in my greetings to new members that there is no such thing as a stupid question, just the one never asked. I've found a few sites that may assist you with valid answers to your question, remember, when you have it writing from a valid sorce, it can save you a lot of aggravation in the log run, again please forgive me if I appeared to have insulted you in any way.

FCC: Wireless Services

The Civil Air Patrol

USCGAUX Home - United States Coast Guard Auxiliary

Department of Homeland Security | Preserving our Freedoms, Protecting America

hill, the Civil Air Patrol is no longer under total control the U.S.A.F anymore, since 9/11 the U.S.A.F. relinguished command of C.A.P. to homeland Security, however under interagency agreement, C.A.P. will continue to conduct certain missions with the U.S.A.F. Please read this.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Air_Patrol

www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/usaf/cap.htm

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:
FLRAILMAN, I was not referring to you, as I found you to be very helpful. I am not going to name those that I was speaking of. I think it is pretty obvious who I was talking to.

Status
Not open for further replies.