RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Service Specific Monitoring > Marine Monitoring Forum

Marine Monitoring Forum - This is the place to discuss monitoring marine communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 1:27 AM

Default New CG LMR freqs. What gear are you using?

My local Coast Guard station is still using regular marine VHF channels but I understand very soon all CG units will transition to their new LMR freqs, CG-112, CG-113, NET-139, etc. I'm currently using a non-digital GRE PSR-400 which I'm pretty sure won't pick up these channels.

What gear will I need to keep monitoring local CG units? If your local CG units are already using the new LMR freqs and you can hear them what gear are you using?

Thanks, it's my first post.
Sponsored links
Old 01-24-2010, 11:17 AM

Personally I'm using Unidens to monitor the CG LMR freqs., A 796, 996T, 396T and a 396XT. I prefer the newer ones over the 796 because they have the ability to mute the ENC noise. I've been finding myself locking out the CG-### freq's in the 796 due the increased use of encryption.
I'm sure the GRE/Radio Shack models will also do a good job on the non encrypted radio traffic. I'm just not experienced with them.
Old 01-24-2010, 9:05 PM

Thanks for the response Kenny, sounds like you've got quite the setup.

I think I'd need the GRE PSR-500 or 600 if I understand it correctly all the new CG LMR freqs are digital & my 400 is analog only. Good to know you can hear the unencrypted with the unidens, maybe I'll invest in a 996XT when my guys finally go digital, but wow that's some $.
Old 01-25-2010, 2:26 PM

Is their a list of these new channels on here?
Old 01-25-2010, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cskib32087 View Post
Is their a list of these new channels on here?
X2 - i must be behind the times but please do tell what the hek you folks are talking about
with these new LMR CG freqs
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2010, 3:08 PM

Coast Guard is moving away from using VHF-FM Marine radios for routine/training ops. They are starting to use either VHF or UHF channels in the federal bands. See other posts in the marine forum, for frequencies see the wiki;
United States Coast Guard - The RadioReference Wiki
Old 01-25-2010, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyblues View Post
Coast Guard is moving away from using VHF-FM Marine radios for routine/training ops. They are starting to use either VHF or UHF channels in the federal bands. See other posts in the marine forum, for frequencies see the wiki;
United States Coast Guard - The RadioReference Wiki
Ken - thank you for posting that - i was unaware.
Old 01-26-2010, 8:03 AM

Sector Baltimore received some flak over that recent drill on the Potomac in Washington DC in which they used the sector ops ch23 to report "shots fired" but apparently did not include the repeated statement "this is a drill". Oh yeah they did this on Sept 11 2009! As you remember it hit the national news when a news feed reported that there was a threat in the river and the Coast Guard was responding. I guess this is one reason why routine LE drills and activities are going to be harder to hear from now on.