New CG LMR freqs. What gear are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioat

My local Coast Guard station is still using regular marine VHF channels but I understand very soon all CG units will transition to their new LMR freqs, CG-112, CG-113, NET-139, etc. I'm currently using a non-digital GRE PSR-400 which I'm pretty sure won't pick up these channels.

What gear will I need to keep monitoring local CG units? If your local CG units are already using the new LMR freqs and you can hear them what gear are you using?

Thanks, it's my first post.

kennyblues

Personally I'm using Unidens to monitor the CG LMR freqs., A 796, 996T, 396T and a 396XT. I prefer the newer ones over the 796 because they have the ability to mute the ENC noise. I've been finding myself locking out the CG-### freq's in the 796 due the increased use of encryption.
I'm sure the GRE/Radio Shack models will also do a good job on the non encrypted radio traffic. I'm just not experienced with them.

radioat

Thanks for the response Kenny, sounds like you've got quite the setup.

I think I'd need the GRE PSR-500 or 600 if I understand it correctly all the new CG LMR freqs are digital & my 400 is analog only. Good to know you can hear the unencrypted with the unidens, maybe I'll invest in a 996XT when my guys finally go digital, but wow that's some $.

archduke

Premium Subscriber
Sector Baltimore received some flak over that recent drill on the Potomac in Washington DC in which they used the sector ops ch23 to report "shots fired" but apparently did not include the repeated statement "this is a drill". Oh yeah they did this on Sept 11 2009! As you remember it hit the national news when a news feed reported that there was a threat in the river and the Coast Guard was responding. I guess this is one reason why routine LE drills and activities are going to be harder to hear from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.