Required Freqs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpsTN

If you are a regular Joe out boating and have a radio in it, can it be any legal radio service (CB, FRS, etc) or does it have to be a marine band radio?

W6KRU

If you are a regular Joe out boating and have a radio in it, can it be any legal radio service (CB, FRS, etc) or does it have to be a marine band radio?

You can put any kind of radio in the boat that you want but if you need help, everyone that you want to talk to will be on the marine vhf frequencies. The Blue Goose buzzing down the highway isn't going to be able to tow you back to the dock.

cpsTN

You can put any kind of radio in the boat that you want but if you need help, everyone that you want to talk to will be on the marine vhf frequencies. The Blue Goose buzzing down the highway isn't going to be able to tow you back to the dock.

I understand. I haven't been in a powered boat since my father was alive (died 1985). I know it has to be common on the oceans and large lakes, like the Great lakes and Bays and Estuaries. But how common is it to have a marine radio in a "weekend" boat on the smaller inland lakes?

W6KRU

I understand. I haven't been in a powered boat since my father was alive (died 1985). I know it has to be common on the oceans and large lakes, like the Great lakes and Bays and Estuaries. But how common is it to have a marine radio in a "weekend" boat on the smaller inland lakes?

I t sounds like you need to ask some local boaters this question.

Don_Burke

Boats not carrying passengers for hire are not normally required to have a radio.

The price of marine VHF has dropped a bunch since 1985. You will find many more boats have them now.

fineshot1

The price of marine VHF has dropped a bunch since 1985. You will find many more boats have them now.

If you will please excuse the next statement -

There is a boat load of good used marine radios on ebay if you need one,
and many of them expire and do not get purchased the first time around so
they eventually go for cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.