Secure my guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

joekehoe

Premium Subscriber
I was listening to USCG and they said that they were securing their guard. What does this mean?

kennyblues

Coast Aircraft and to a lesser extent Ships, keep a radio guard with A Coast Guard Station, Sector, Comm Station, or at times another aircraft or ships. They do this check in for safety reasons, Hey everything is OK, no problems.

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
ch 16 is a guard channel. however when a craft either air or float says to secure my guard it tell whom ever is "following" him on the radio that the station has completed the mission and going home.

ecps92

Take my Guard means , I am operating in your [AOR - Area of Responsibility] and we will follow [mostly already established time period] the routine check-in [15 / 30 / 60 min / 4 hr] time with Lat/Lon and Status. Routinely heard with the Helo's and Fixwing from Cape Cod AirSta.

4hr check in's are usually Cutters well out to SEA and will likely occur on HF not VHF/UHF

Secure my Guard means , either I have RTB [Returned to Base] and/or transfered guard to another Unit [Sector]

CG Air Craft will ID via 4 digit # with Sector and they go by Rescue with 4 digit number during a SAR event

An EXCELLENT CG Assets List is avail at Monitoring Times

I was listening to USCG and they said that they were securing their guard. What does this mean?

hill

Premium Subscriber
As stated in the above posts radio guard is used to protect the lives of boat and aircrews. All CG assets will have radio guard with Station, Sector or Master Communication Station depending on area of operations.

Cutters on 4 hours radio guard
Aircraft 15 or 30 minutes
Small boats 30 or 60 minutes

Most stations will keep the small boats on a 30 minute schedule, since a lot can happen on a boat in 60 minutes. They will report Operations Normal (OPS Normal) and position. Position can be Latitude and Longitude or geographic one.

Boats and Cutters secure radio after mooring. Aircraft usually secure when landing.

Hooligan

Of course, it could have also meant that their security guard fell asleep on duty & they were reporting that they were in the process of securing him for transport to the brig under UCMJ Article 113!

hill

Premium Subscriber
Hooligan,

Your post doesn't make any sense and if way off base on this topic. It does no service to members on the Radio Reference Forums to post useless comments.

Larry

Of course, it could have also meant that their security guard fell asleep on duty & they were reporting that they were in the process of securing him for transport to the brig under UCMJ Article 113!

LSCN88

As stated in the above posts radio guard is used to protect the lives of boat and aircrews. All CG assets will have radio guard with Station, Sector or Master Communication Station depending on area of operations.

Cutters on 4 hours radio guard
Aircraft 15 or 30 minutes
Small boats 30 or 60 minutes

Most stations will keep the small boats on a 30 minute schedule, since a lot can happen on a boat in 60 minutes. They will report Operations Normal (OPS Normal) and position. Position can be Latitude and Longitude or geographic one.

Boats and Cutters secure radio after mooring. Aircraft usually secure when landing.

You are pretty much correct on all accounts. However, we will generally reduce the comms check in intervals to 15 minutes during the night, or if the weather gets bad.

hill

Premium Subscriber
LSCN88,

Ok on all. Just trying to making it simple for the others on the board. I know importance of shortening the time for radio guard during increased operations tempo or decreased weather conditions. Less to receive these days, since much of the radio traffic now occurs in the LMR CG channels in my local sector.

Larry

bwjmackie

Hooligan,

Your post doesn't make any sense and if way off base on this topic. It does no service to members on the Radio Reference Forums to post useless comments.

Larry

Jeez, relax a bit... He was just trying to have some fun. I for one enjoyed his post.

ecps92

Larry, not sure where you get LESS from, they only moved to a different set of channels for Operations. The LMR are quite busy, the only downside is trying to figure out which of the 28 channels each Station / Sector / Air Sta are using.

The activity is there, and ripe for the listening audience.

LSCN88,

Ok on all. Just trying to making it simple for the others on the board. I know importance of shortening the time for radio guard during increased operations tempo or decreased weather conditions. Less to receive these days, since much of the radio traffic now occurs in the LMR CG channels in my local sector.

Larry

hill

Premium Subscriber
I stated less to monitor, since my local Sector is using the CG LMR more and more. I don't know about all areas, but Sector Baltimore it is all P25 encrypted on the CG LMR. Encryption is why there is less to monitor and I guess some sectors aren't using the encryption, but in a sector that includes the Nation's Capital Region it is used daily.

Larry

hill

Premium Subscriber
Hooligan,

Maybe I see this internet board different than other members of Radio Reference. I think of it as way to better educate the new members of the scanner or radio monitoring public and extra comments just muddy the waters. We should all strive to stay on topic and keep the other comments out of the posts. This the end of my comments, if it doesn't assist other members of the monitoring hobby.

Larry

K6CRB

Premium Subscriber
I have been and am a member of teams that can get really serious. Without humor and laughing, people would be "wound to tight". Keep the humor coming in this really screwed up world we live in. Everyone has to laugh. I think people on here can tell the difference.

duchee

I have been and am a member of teams that can get really serious. Without humor and laughing, people would be "wound to tight". Keep the humor coming in this really screwed up world we live in. Everyone has to laugh. I think people on here can tell the difference.
i agree with you on that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.