Need a radio...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ems_matt

Premium Subscriber
Just looking for suggestions on a quality marine-band radio for my new boat. I am virtually brand new into the world of boating, so I don't know too much about them, aside from their frequencies.

W2NJS

Do a Google search for these manufacturers, most of whom (in addition to commercial and ham radios) also make marine radios:

Icom
Vertex
Kenwood

There are probably more but this will get you started.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Icom consistently get a high rating. If I was in the market I'd be looking at those.

Also,
Uniden makes marine VHF radios, or at least they used to.
Vertex, as mentioned above, but they are branded under Vertex/Standard (same company)

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Icom consistently get a high rating. If I was in the market I'd be looking at those.

Also,
Uniden makes marine VHF radios, or at least they used to.
Vertex, as mentioned above, but they are branded under Vertex/Standard (same company)

Yes Uniden still makes marine radios.

Marine Electronics

If I were in the market for a marine radio I would go with the best,toughest radio out there.Are you looking for handheld or a base one?

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Marine Radio

Go Icom for fixed mounted units by far the best
If you looking for a hand held unit Go Icom and Standard Horizon

Oh and since you stated your brand new learn how to use and talk on a marine band radio before you key the mic. a few hints there is no "breaker breaker" or whats your "20" on marine VHF(I hear this constantly while im in the harbor).. ohh and when you get it and want to try it out dont use ch16 and call the coast guard for a radio check,(I heard a dozen people over the weekend doing this..CG was starting to get pissed) below is some usefull info for ya on what channels are used for what type of comms..incase your not aware.. stay safe and enjoy

U.S. VHF Channels

qkv4sm5

If you're installing the radio on a small boat, once you get above the bottom of the market, there shouldn't be much of a difference between the radios. Make sure you have DSC (all new radios do). Instead of worrying about the radio, you should focus on getting a good antenna and mounting it as high as you can. That will help you a lot more than a more expensive radio. Most radios probably come from the same factory in different cases. I usually go for Standard Horizon radios with Shakespeare antennas on the water, since in my unscientific survey, they've lasted longer for me. But try out a bunch of them and see what you like. If you have a small boat, make sure you get a waterproof fixed radio--don't want a splash to knock you off the air.

For a land installation on a 100+ ft tower, you simply cannot beat the IC-M604. I've worked with a coast station that replaced consumer grade radios with the M604, and the difference was definitely noticeable. It's receiver performance and intermod rejection are unparalleled. That being said, you probably won't notice that on a boat unless you're in an extremely RF-dense environment with a good antenna. There are better places to put the $350 extra you'd spend for the M604.

Since you're new to boating, I'd like to offer some general advice you using your new radio. Since you're posting on this forum, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you have the capability to monitor VHF from your house. Spend a lot of time listening before you start talking. Get to know what channel Towboat US, SeaTow, local marinas, vessel traffic (if applicable), bridges, commercial and recreational boaters use in your area. The link above is a good starting point, but actual use does vary from location to location. For testing your radio, I'd like to take DannB's advice a step further and say that it's inappropriate to hail any station for a radio check on Ch. 16. It can block out distress traffic, annoys the coast guard watch standers, and sounds unprofessional. For radio checks, see if a SeaTow automated radio check is available in your area. If not, hail a marina on their working channel, or try one of the non commercial channels. Channel 68 always has people monitoring in my area. Finally, get a MMSI number from SeaTow or Towboat US and interface your radio to a GPS following the instructions in the manual. That way, should you ever need to use your distress button, your position will be automatically sent to Coast Guard and they will be able to look up a description of your boat in a database...taking the search out of search and rescue.

Automated Radio Check Service | Sea Tow

Hope this helps.

ems_matt

Premium Subscriber
Gentlemen (and ladies if any replied)... I truly appreciate all of the feedback received! I honestly didn't think anyone actually the Marine Radio thread, lol.

Anyhow, as a public safety dispatcher, I obviously run into some radio buffs along the way. After speaking with a few colleagues and radio repair guys, I averaged out the brands they mentioned by frequency, and I ended up buying a Uniden UM380 with a 5' Shakespeare antenna for the boat. And oddly enough, not a week later, my brother tore his bass boat apart, for reasons unknown, and he not only gave me his Standard HX225 portable, but he also had an antiquated mobile unit on the thing, so I now have 3 radios. I'm not sure what make or model the antiquated one is, but if any of you have any interest, I'll take a look at it after work tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.