Is it Pon Pon or Pan Pan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxMerlinxX

I've heard USCG issue a Pon Pon transmission, but I've heard aviators use Pan Pan. Just wondering if someone could clear up the proper pronunciation for me?

D

DaveNF2G

Wow, time warp. This was discussed a while ago already. Try searching the archives.

kf5qgf

You know, as you see the original poster only has 7 posts, 2 of which are on this thread. For all the elmers here, if you know the answer, and it's relatively simple to explain, don't give a rant saying how the poster should google, and should sift through 10 years of radio reference archives. I'm sure whenever ya'll were young bucks you asked someone a question that someone has already asked them.... and they didn't get frustrated with you, they just answered it. We should all do the same. Do you know how many times in PM and on a post that I've explained in layman's terms the proper programming sequence for a pro-163/164?

KF5QGF

RadioDaze

"The French word panne nominally refers to a mechanical failure or breakdown of any kind."

"Mayday derives from the French venez m'aider, meaning 'come help me.'"

Securite = French "sécurité"

It's all French... just pronounce it as is done traditionally, and enjoy the fact that you are now bilingual.
Think about the Mexican dessert "flan" when you pronounce "pan".

Status
Not open for further replies.