AIS using PRO-106

Status
Not open for further replies.

serbmarine

I know similar questions have been discussed before but I was unable to find information specific to my question and I am hoping you all can help.

I am trying to find out some information on using a PRO-106 to monitor VHF AIS transmissions (161.975 and 162.025). I am attempting to us the PRO-106 linked to the PC and through AISmon import the NMEA data into openCPN to be able to monitor traffic on the marine charts.

I know there are procedures to install a discriminator tap on the PRO-106 but I do not want to void that warranty (or damage the unit) attempting this. I ran into some information about using the USB connection in conjunction with the CCDump feature on the radio in lieu of the TAP but I am completely unfamiliar with how to do this, or if it would work for this particular application.

This is above my head so any information you could provide, especially relating to the CCDump function of the PRO-106 would be greatly appriecated.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I kinda doubt this would work - if the AIS application doesn't understand the formatted data from CCDump, then it wouldn't. And I THINK CCDUMP is supposed to be for Control Channel decoding...

I would suggest grabbing an old scanner from a pawn shop and modifying that. You aren't out all that much if you mess it up. Since the 2 freqs are in the standard VHF hi band, that could be doggone near anything...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.