406Mhz beacons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID2 Build/4.5.1_57_DR4-51) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

But of a dumb question, are they called 406MHz beacons because they operate on exactly 406.000Mhz or beacuse they operate in the 406MHz range? (Ex 406.0xx-406.9xx) if so what is the exact frequencies (or frequency) that they operate on? I plan on punching them into my scanner.

Thanks!

nd5y

You guys are all wrong.

406 MHz EPIRBs operate on one of several frequencies in the 406.0-406.1 MHz band depending on when the unit was manufactured. They transmit brief 50 kHz wide data bursts. You most likely can't even hear it on a scanner or other narrow FM receiver. The carrier for ground direction finding is on 121.5 MHz.

Go to
C/S T.000 Series - Technical
scroll down and read
T.012 Cospas-Sarsat 406 MHz Frequency Management Plan Issue 1 - Revision 8 Oct 2012.
Page 218 has the channel assignment table. The other documents on that page have all the technical specs and requirements.

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You guys are all wrong.

406 MHz EPIRBs operate on one of several frequencies in the 406.0-406.1 MHz band depending on when the unit was manufactured. They transmit brief 50 kHz wide data bursts. You most likely can't even hear it on a scanner or other narrow FM receiver. The carrier for ground direction finding is on 121.5 MHz.

Go to
C/S T.000 Series - Technical
scroll down and read
T.012 Cospas-Sarsat 406 MHz Frequency Management Plan Issue 1 - Revision 8 Oct 2012.
Page 218 has the channel assignment table. The other documents on that page have all the technical specs and requirements.
I was just repeating verbatim what I saw in Wikipedia. I wasn't wrong, apparently they are though.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Even more from the linked document:
System alignment beacons are on 406.022
First generation beacons were on 406.025MHz. That channel was open from 1982 to 01 January 2002. After then, no new beacons were built that used this channel only.
On 01 January 2000, 406.028 was added and assigned to new beacons through 01 January 2007.
On 01 January 2004, 406.037 was added and assigned to new beacons through 01 January 2012.
On 01 January 2010, 406.040 was added and is still being used for new beacons.

There are more channels set aside, but according to the document, they are either "reserved" or "available for future assignments/new developments". So, if you wanted to hear this stuff, you'd want to listen between 406.020 and 406.042MHz. You'd need something better than an FM capable scanner. You'd want something that could do AM/CW. They are low power (5 watts or so seems to be standard) and designed to be heard by overhead satellites, so you likely wouldn't hear one unless it was pretty close. The 121.5MHz homing signal, while still low power, would probably be easier to hear with an AM capable receiver that would cover that frequency. An air band receiver would work. There are often false alarms if you are around an airport or busy shipping port. They are pretty good about chasing those down since it can cause issues and increase the amount of time it would take a "real" activation to be received.

In the US, US Coast Guard and the US Air Force run the Rescue Coordination centers that handle these calls.

The future looks like the Medium Earth Orbit Satellites used by the US GPS, European Galileo, and Russian GLONASS navigation satellites will likely carry receivers for 406MHz beacons. This will improve coverage and result in nearly instantaneous notification of an activation. There are also plans to do a return message system using the Galileo satellites, so the RCC's could eventually send your EPRIB/PLB a message letting you know that your distress signal was received.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
There are more channels set aside, but according to the document, they are either "reserved" or "available for future assignments/new developments". So, if you wanted to hear this stuff, you'd want to listen between 406.020 and 406.042MHz. You'd need something better than an FM capable scanner. You'd want something that could do AM/CW. They are low power (5 watts or so seems to be standard) and designed to be heard by overhead satellites, so you likely wouldn't hear one unless it was pretty close. The 121.5MHz homing signal, while still low power, would probably be easier to hear with an AM capable receiver that would cover that frequency. An air band receiver would work. There are often false alarms if you are around an airport or busy shipping port. They are pretty good about chasing those down since it can cause issues and increase the amount of time it would take a "real" activation to be received.

Actually, the 406 MHz beacons transmit data using FSK type modulation, so FM works best for trying to hear them. The 406 MHz data is also transmitted at a much greater power level than the 121.5 MHz homing signal (5 watts versus 0.1 watt), so it should be easier to hear as well. I heard the difference in power level firsthand about a month ago when an ELT was activated somewhere nearby for a prolonged period. I could hear the data bursts on 406 loud and clear (almost full scale), but the homing signal on 121.5 was so weak I could just barely hear it below the noise.

I have 406.025 MHz (NFM) programmed in a couple of scanners, and although it is rare, I have heard quite a few accidental activations. Usually the beacons will only cycle one or two times before someone shuts them off.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
I managed to get a recording of a 406 MHz ELT that activated today, so I thought I'd post an update in case anyone wanted to hear exactly what one of these sound like.

Note that this was recorded on a smartphone while one radio monitored 406.025 MHz, and another monitored 121.5 MHz. So you're hearing a composite of the 406 data burst and 121.5 homing signal.

Attachments

• 406 ELT.zip
    49.6 KB · Views: 260

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
I managed to get a recording of a 406 MHz ELT that activated today, so I thought I'd post an update in case anyone wanted to hear exactly what one of these sound like.

Note that this was recorded on a smartphone while one radio monitored 406.025 MHz, and another monitored 121.5 MHz. So you're hearing a composite of the 406 data burst and 121.5 homing signal.

Thanks! Up until recently I haven't had a recorder to capture either of those 2. And even now that I finally sprang for a Sangean DAR-101 portable stereo digital recorder catching one of these in action is still a bit of a `crapshoot'. {GRIMACE!} It isn't like they are a common day `situation/occurance'. (Thank goodness!!)

So again... *THANKS!*

Status
Not open for further replies.