Norwegian Epic

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdscan

Hi guys...

I've been meaning to bring this up for a while but haven't really gotten to it.

I took a cruise on the Norwegian Epic a little while ago, their either newest (or if they put the other one in service yet) second newest boat.

I was wondering about something...

I noticed EVERY staff member was carrying what looked like a Motorola cell-phone (I could spot the logo), but was most likely a 900Mhz sort of digital radio. I did some research only found this... SL 7550 Portable Two-way Radio - Motorola Solutions USA But it didn't quite look like what I saw. The ones I saw basically looked like the DTR series with keypads. Although, my memory may have faded a bit since I saw that. IIRC, the staff members just punched in a number to call another staff member on the radio, and there were groups... So like I said, most likely 900Mhz digital sort of thing. Anyone know anything about the actual equipment used, how it works... Their system... Etc?

I also noticed that in the bridge (there's a bridge viewing room) they had a huge wall/shelf setup with quite a few VHF portables being charged, flashlights, maybe some mobiles too. Good to know they're prepared!

If anyone has info as to what they use... Let me know.

fdscan

No, nothing like the Trisquares. I would have recognized them if that were the case. I'm 99% sure they were Motorola... Looked like silver phone-type radios? Pretty thick too, not really slim.

ecps92

Many of the Cruise Lines have offered for sometime now the ability to Rent [On-board] the Cordless Phones to link to your room phone. I remember one [RCCL] was Alcatel. They might be 900, but now 2.5/5 Ghz [like your home cordless] Cheaper than having a Two-way for all who need one.

Or as someone just reminded me, VOIP phones

The Epic has a UHF on-board 3+ Channel Repeater system

Hi guys...

I've been meaning to bring this up for a while but haven't really gotten to it.

I took a cruise on the Norwegian Epic a little while ago, their either newest (or if they put the other one in service yet) second newest boat.

I was wondering about something...

I noticed EVERY staff member was carrying what looked like a Motorola cell-phone (I could spot the logo), but was most likely a 900Mhz sort of digital radio. I did some research only found this... SL 7550 Portable Two-way Radio - Motorola Solutions USA But it didn't quite look like what I saw. The ones I saw basically looked like the DTR series with keypads. Although, my memory may have faded a bit since I saw that. IIRC, the staff members just punched in a number to call another staff member on the radio, and there were groups... So like I said, most likely 900Mhz digital sort of thing. Anyone know anything about the actual equipment used, how it works... Their system... Etc?

I also noticed that in the bridge (there's a bridge viewing room) they had a huge wall/shelf setup with quite a few VHF portables being charged, flashlights, maybe some mobiles too. Good to know they're prepared!

If anyone has info as to what they use... Let me know.

Last edited:

searingxheretic

Premium Subscriber
They are VOIP phones, most run on Cisco networks aboard the ship. They use the same wireless system that you can pay for wireless internet while on board.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

fdscan

That looks like it!

And it makes sense too. I guess running it through the network vs radio would be easier on a ship like that. Cool system! Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.