Cruise Ship Antenna ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrensicPic

Premium Subscriber
I've submitted this to Bill at Scanmaritime.com ...
I was on the NCL Pearl week of 7/13-7/20 and noted this antenna...actually there were two...one forward, one aft, both on the port side. One is a horizontally polarized Yagi fed by a folded dipole. The other, below the Yagi, a flat reflector reminiscent of the old UHF-TV "bow-tie" antennas. Any thoughts anyone?
John

Attachments

• IMG_1040x.jpg
    IMG_1040x.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,386
  • IMG_1069x.jpg
    IMG_1069x.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,352

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Probably exactly what it looks like TV antenna and FM broadcast antenna. I remember back in the 80's or 90's being on a cruise ship and they'd pump in the local channels when they were in or near port.

DPD1

I would think they'd have a rotator on it. But it looks like it was sort of an afterthought, so maybe they didn't know that. I would think there must be one designed for maritime. I doubt a regular one like that is going to hold up for long in that environment. I would have gone with one of the combo disc types, that are sealed in a radome and used for RVs and stuff like that.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
They do have satellite.
Off air TV/FM can be useful in some situations.

Also, in a marine environment, getting as much stuff as you can out of the elements helps for long term survivability. Very well could be a rotor below decks where it would be protected.

kf7yn

It is a UHF TV antenna. We had one on our containership for in-port TV reception. Our antenna was manually rotated, a pain in the neck but effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.