Fishing Boats on 11230kHz USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Interesting I'm getting fishing boats using 11230khz chatting about the catch of haddock and cod. Sounds like they are from New Bedford MA from the conversation their having which is local to me. What's interesting is their use of 11megs. That's not a HF marine band freq. Time 1422z

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Not so strange, really. I understand there are several HF marine radios that are wide coverage, and it's highly unlikely these captains know about international allocations. And then you also have some who will buy grey market HF amateur radios, open them up and use them for as long as they work in a salt air environment.

But you're right, it's odd they should show up on 11 Mhz....Mike

SCPD

QRT
Not so strange, really. I understand there are several HF marine radios that are wide coverage, and it's highly unlikely these captains know about international allocations. And then you also have some who will buy grey market HF amateur radios, open them up and use them for as long as they work in a salt air environment.

But you're right, it's odd they should show up on 11 Mhz....Mike

Thanks Mike. They've been on all morning. Sounds like three or four boats. Still chatting as of 1806z as I type this. Lots of "F" bombs being dropped like every other word. lol. Its always entertaining listening to fishermen.

Status
Not open for further replies.