Norwegian Breakaway-- Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo695

Just got back. Great ship; forget the scanning. Brought the 436. Except for the usual VHF marine frequencies that are a little active when approaching or leaving a port, all communication is via new Motorola handhelds (MOTO TRBO?) that can't be decoded (supervisors seem to have them), or else by a Nextel-like phone device carried by every staffer (made by NEC) that I presume works on digital microwave frequencies. As far as HF, at a technical presentation the captain explained that all ship to shore is now via satellite microwave and HF is reserved solely for redundancy in the event of an emergency. Bottom line - once out of port forget it, unless intercepting the occasional FRS / GMRS is your thing.

My impression is that the newer ships all are being "upgraded" to these secure systems and the older ships slowly are being converted. As is sadly the case in other contexts, this scanning arena is quickly drying up.

ecps92

Sadly, many of the newer ships are moving to DMR, however the word Secure ? would not describe them. Talking to a friend who works on a ship, he discovered they mask the interference - not prevent and a simple dongle and a laptop can decode them ;)

As for the Phones, they run off the Ships Cordless Phone network or the Wifi (I've seen both), just like the Disney ?, that issues iPads to handle calls/.texts and ordering specialty items or Shore Exc.

Just got back. Great ship; forget the scanning. Brought the 436. Except for the usual VHF marine frequencies that are a little active when approaching or leaving a port, all communication is via new Motorola handhelds (MOTO TRBO?) that can't be decoded (supervisors seem to have them), or else by a Nextel-like phone device carried by every staffer (made by NEC) that I presume works on digital microwave frequencies. As far as HF, at a technical presentation the captain explained that all ship to shore is now via satellite microwave and HF is reserved solely for redundancy in the event of an emergency. Bottom line - once out of port forget it, unless intercepting the occasional FRS / GMRS is your thing.

My impression is that the newer ships all are being "upgraded" to these secure systems and the older ships slowly are being converted. As is sadly the case in other contexts, this scanning arena is quickly drying up.

Mork

Premium Subscriber
Breakaway

Now that we have DMR on the 436, has anyone the frequencies used on the Breakaway?

ecps92

My experience has been Nothing has changed, still using the known UHF Pairs and former Analog simplex.

IE: HAL Veendam was just in Boston and between April (Analog) and August (TRBO) they converted and still were using the 457/467 Pairs

Altho, DO keep close watch for the NEW Narrower frequencies

457.53125, 457.56875, 457.60625, 457.61875 etc,
Now that we have DMR on the 436, has anyone the frequencies used on the Breakaway?

D

DaveNF2G

Just got back. Great ship; forget the scanning. Brought the 436. Except for the usual VHF marine frequencies that are a little active when approaching or leaving a port, all communication is via new Motorola handhelds (MOTO TRBO?) that can't be decoded (supervisors seem to have them),

Another complaint by someone who seems unaware of the existence of newer scanners that can decode these systems.

ecps92

Please Reply by using the quoting function, it helps us know to whom you are replying to.

Yes the OP is over a year ago, but now with the availability of DMR in the newer Scanners, what was originally thought as LOST from monitoring is not so lost. :cool:

Note that the thread and first post is more than 1.5 years old.....

Jimbo695

Another complaint by someone who seems unaware of the existence of newer scanners that can decode these systems.

Yep, should have known back then that there would be DMR capable scanners a year later, and kept my uninformed complaint to myself. Crystal ball in the shop. My bad. Thanks for paying attention and helping me out.

D

DaveNF2G

I'm sorry. I did not notice the original posting date. My comment was uncalled-for.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Yep, should have known back then that there would be DMR capable scanners a year later, and kept my uninformed complaint to myself. Crystal ball in the shop. My bad. Thanks for paying attention and helping me out.

What crystal ball shop did you use? Mine is malfunctioning and i want to get it repaired but not sure where to send it to. Apparently i broke it when i asked it when the Pro668 would get DMR.
The shady lady with the big nose and mole on her face went out of business so i cant go back to her and ask her to use her crystal ball.

I made the same mistake a few months ago.
Someone revived an old thread and i commented not knowing it had started over a year ago. It happens.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
Considering that ships are largely made of metal, it would make sense that they would move in the direction of WiFi radios such as the one that ICOM recently put out. That would make it possible for communications thru the entire ship without issues caused by all the steel walls. It also opens up close to an infinite number of "channels" for different groups or function.

ecps92

Great when you are on-board inside the shell, but there are plenty of OPS that occur on shore where there is no Wifi.
Considering that ships are largely made of metal, it would make sense that they would move in the direction of WiFi radios such as the one that ICOM recently put out. That would make it possible for communications thru the entire ship without issues caused by all the steel walls. It also opens up close to an infinite number of "channels" for different groups or function.

Status
Not open for further replies.