RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Service Specific Monitoring > Marine Monitoring Forum

Marine Monitoring Forum - This is the place to discuss monitoring marine communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2015, 10:36 AM

Default Horizon Marine HandHeld radios

After making contact with several people at Standard-Horizon about the HX series Marine hand held's, the following information was obtained.

Hope this will help even one thinking of these radios.

All the new series of radios made since summer of 2013 are ONLY able to cover the marine band and do not have the ability of open programmable channels.

This means that you can not program any ham or LE/Fire frequency in the radio and that the radio is frequency locked to operate marine band only 156.00 to 163.00 mz.

This covers the following current radios, HX 870, HX 100, HX 150, HX 280, HX 290, HX 300, HX 400.

The only software for programing that is available is for the HX 870 and the HX 400 and is only to make it easier to program scan, call, GPS, select call options.

I hope this will help anyone thinking about any of these radios
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

Default Hmmmmm, okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabletech View Post
After making contact with several people at Standard-Horizon about the HX series Marine hand held's, the following information was obtained.

Hope this will help even one thinking of these radios.

All the new series of radios made since summer of 2013 are ONLY able to cover the marine band and do not have the ability of open programmable channels.

This means that you can not program any ham or LE/Fire frequency in the radio and that the radio is frequency locked to operate marine band only 156.00 to 163.00 mz.

This covers the following current radios, HX 870, HX 100, HX 150, HX 280, HX 290, HX 300, HX 400.

The only software for programing that is available is for the HX 870 and the HX 400 and is only to make it easier to program scan, call, GPS, select call options.

I hope this will help anyone thinking about any of these radios
I'm glad you brought this topic up, I've always wanted to get a VHF high band marine mobile radio that could be opened up to receive all 3 US, INT & Canadian allocations in one scan sequence instead of switching over for each allocation, also are there any marine radios that can be opened up to receive MURS & possibly the VHF high band railroad allocation but not to transmit? I know I can get separate radios for each service but I just like the looks of the marine radios with their big backlit display's & controls, do you think any of the below listed radios have the ability to be opened up?

Icom IC-M36
Icom IC-M506

Uniden UM415BK
Uniden Atlantis 250BK

Standard Horizon GX5500S
Old 02-05-2015, 11:56 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

MY HX400's purchased Dec 2013 have 40 open programable slots for anything from 134-174. Programing is via PC and CE-129 software. You can program in marine frequencies in the open slots to have them scan with the marine band(US,Can, Int) you are using, so any combo is programable, Tone, CTCSS encode/decode. Even have low level encription. 1 oe 5 watts power. Plus all the priortiy scan, dual/triple watch and 10 priortiy channels. Go online and pull down the OP manual and read all about it. Plus they have 2400mAh Lithium battery. They come with both a desk top drop-in charger and a 12Vdc car plug in charger.
Old 02-06-2015, 8:30 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I have had a Standard Horizon HX370S for about 4 years now. It also has the 40 programmable channels.

Great radio, and most of the accessories work with my VX-170 VHF Yaesu.

These are both heavy duty radios, and have been used often. The selling point for me was the fact that I could put business band frequencies into it also. It meant not having to carry two radios.
Old 04-13-2015, 1:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just purchased a brand new HX400 last week(04/2015). Using the programming software available on the Horizon Standard web site, this unit accepts programming for the 2 meter ham band just fine. Good audio reports using it on the local repeaters. I am using it for double duty while Kayak fishing.
Sponsored links