Horizon Marine HandHeld radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabletech

After making contact with several people at Standard-Horizon about the HX series Marine hand held's, the following information was obtained.

Hope this will help even one thinking of these radios.

All the new series of radios made since summer of 2013 are ONLY able to cover the marine band and do not have the ability of open programmable channels.

This means that you can not program any ham or LE/Fire frequency in the radio and that the radio is frequency locked to operate marine band only 156.00 to 163.00 mz.

This covers the following current radios, HX 870, HX 100, HX 150, HX 280, HX 290, HX 300, HX 400.

The only software for programing that is available is for the HX 870 and the HX 400 and is only to make it easier to program scan, call, GPS, select call options.

I hope this will help anyone thinking about any of these radios

haleve

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hmmmmm, okay

After making contact with several people at Standard-Horizon about the HX series Marine hand held's, the following information was obtained.

Hope this will help even one thinking of these radios.

All the new series of radios made since summer of 2013 are ONLY able to cover the marine band and do not have the ability of open programmable channels.

This means that you can not program any ham or LE/Fire frequency in the radio and that the radio is frequency locked to operate marine band only 156.00 to 163.00 mz.

This covers the following current radios, HX 870, HX 100, HX 150, HX 280, HX 290, HX 300, HX 400.

The only software for programing that is available is for the HX 870 and the HX 400 and is only to make it easier to program scan, call, GPS, select call options.

I hope this will help anyone thinking about any of these radios

I'm glad you brought this topic up, I've always wanted to get a VHF high band marine mobile radio that could be opened up to receive all 3 US, INT & Canadian allocations in one scan sequence instead of switching over for each allocation, also are there any marine radios that can be opened up to receive MURS & possibly the VHF high band railroad allocation but not to transmit? I know I can get separate radios for each service but I just like the looks of the marine radios with their big backlit display's & controls, do you think any of the below listed radios have the ability to be opened up?

Icom IC-M36
Icom IC-M506

Uniden UM415BK
Uniden Atlantis 250BK

Standard Horizon GX5500S

FKimble

MY HX400's purchased Dec 2013 have 40 open programable slots for anything from 134-174. Programing is via PC and CE-129 software. You can program in marine frequencies in the open slots to have them scan with the marine band(US,Can, Int) you are using, so any combo is programable, Tone, CTCSS encode/decode. Even have low level encription. 1 oe 5 watts power. Plus all the priortiy scan, dual/triple watch and 10 priortiy channels. Go online and pull down the OP manual and read all about it. Plus they have 2400mAh Lithium battery. They come with both a desk top drop-in charger and a 12Vdc car plug in charger.

PACNWDude

I have had a Standard Horizon HX370S for about 4 years now. It also has the 40 programmable channels.

Great radio, and most of the accessories work with my VX-170 VHF Yaesu.

These are both heavy duty radios, and have been used often. The selling point for me was the fact that I could put business band frequencies into it also. It meant not having to carry two radios.

AA4TX

Just purchased a brand new HX400 last week(04/2015). Using the programming software available on the Horizon Standard web site, this unit accepts programming for the 2 meter ham band just fine. Good audio reports using it on the local repeaters. I am using it for double duty while Kayak fishing.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Standard Horizon HX400 Handheld VHF Radio

Gander Outdoors has some deals right now. It looks like one of these would be under $150 right now. Are they still a good choice for a marine portable that will also do commercial frequencies?

JASII

Memory Capacity
the hx400 will do commercial vhf and the hx407 will to commercial uhf

Oh, wow, thanks for the reply. I didn't even know about that one. I will have to check and see if it is legal for GMRS.

Since they already have a dual band radio, with the HX-407, it would be pretty sweet if they had a marine HT with commercial VHF and UHF capability in it.

I would also like to see the ability to connect, via Bluetooth, to a smartphone for software/firmware updates and texting.

AA4TX

The HX407 is certified only for Part 80 (marine UHF) frequencies only (it is not dual band).

The HX400 is a great radio. Part 90 and Part 80 certified, waterproof. I have several, and use them for kayaking. I love being able to also put in all the local amateur repeaters for very wide area access while kayaking and water expeditions. It has an extremely long battery life (I can go a whole weekend on a charge). It doesn't float though, so I keep it tethered to my life vest!
definitely recommended!

z31jaime

HX407 is part 22, 80 and 74 but not 95

Last edited by a moderator:

AA4TX

That is true, but very few of us carry Part 22 or Part 74 UHF authorizations. Most of us are Parts 80, 90, 95, and/or 97. The question I understood to be about 80 and 90. Thanks for the full report.

z31jaime

That is true, but very few of us carry Part 22 or Part 74 UHF authorizations. Most of us are Parts 80, 90, 95, and/or 97. The question I understood to be about 80 and 90. Thanks for the full report.

my reply was more toward the gmrs comment. sorry for the confusion

z31jaime

The Cobra HH450 is marine VHF and GMRS

I forgot about it because I mostly push standard horizon

JASII

Memory Capacity
Horizon Marine HandHeld Radios

I am very tempted to get a Standard Horizon HX400 Handheld VHF Radio. At $138.74 from Gander Mountain, it seems like a reasonable price.

z31jaime

I am very tempted to get a Standard Horizon HX400 Handheld VHF Radio. At $138.74 from Gander Mountain, it seems like a reasonable price.

crazy good price if its true but make sure its not the hx40 because thats the price for it

Status
Not open for further replies.