Marine RDF publication / U.S. coast ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasag

In the 1970's the USCG or federal govt...published a manual, which detailed each of the coastal RDF stations, on the west, east, and gulf coasts.
It described each stations location, call sign, frequency, mode, and hours of operation.
Basically....you could use the info, to RDF the coastal stations.

I had a copy...but lost if over the years.
Does anyone have a link to the publication?

thx & 73,
TexasAg

texasag

thx....the Rescue 21 system is a major step forward, using technology to locate a vessel in distress or for other reasons.

I am focused on the navigational use, of the Coastal RDF stations....from the 1970's and earlier. I believe they discontinued these stations in the 1980's or 1990's ?

At sea....you would tune your RDF receiver....to the correct low frequency....and rotate your directional loop antenna. You would hear a three-letter code group, from the station.....and could obtain a bearing on the transmitting antenna. This would yield a line of position.....and if you secured two or three LOP's.....you had a pretty good idea of your location.
There were of course variables......atmospherics, weather, etc.

The USCG also had RDF transmitters on several of their lightships......which were stationed off harbor entrances. You could then "ride the beam" toward the lightship and make correct landfall.
BTW...they had several lightships....struck by vessels doing this in the fog, etc.

thx for the reply........ I hope to find the publication again....!
interesting part of our navigational history....before GPS.
TexasAg

QDP2012

Interesting use of technology. I can see how their lightships might get hit like that.

Thanks for sharing,

ecps92

Are you asking about LORAN-C ??

http://www.uscg.mil/history/STATIONS/LORAN/docs/LoranCUsersHandbook.pdf

In the 1970's the USCG or federal govt...published a manual, which detailed each of the coastal RDF stations, on the west, east, and gulf coasts.
It described each stations location, call sign, frequency, mode, and hours of operation.
Basically....you could use the info, to RDF the coastal stations.

I had a copy...but lost if over the years.
Does anyone have a link to the publication?

thx & 73,
TexasAg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think he's asking about the old Long Wave beacons they used to have at harbor entrances as well as some of the light ships and LNB's.

They're long gone now. So's Loran C, although it seems to be making a bit of a comeback in parts of Europe.

I think you'd need to find someone that has a paper copy of the list and would be willing to post it. Not sure where you'd find it.

texasag

mmckenna ....exactly the pub amd info i am seeking..!!!!

yes...the pub detailed the longwave beacon locations, frequency, call sign, modes, hours of operation, etc.

hope to locate a copy or an online link to the pub.
73 & Take Care.......
TexasAg

RKG

There is always a list of the NDBs in the Eldridge Tide and Current book, published each year.

Note that some of the NDBs carry a data sideband providing differential GPS corrections.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Threads merged.

Please don't post the same topic to more than one forum. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.