Radio checks on channels 27 & 28 VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

prowisscan

Greetings. Although this occured over the summer, I am just getting around to asking. During the marine broadcasts that are conducted twice a day from the USCG sector Lake Michigan here in Milwaukee, it is mentioned that mariners can use channel 27 for automatic radio checks for the south half of Lake Michigan and channel 28 for the north half. How does this work? Are these channels in addition to channel 9 for radio checks or is this a different type of system? I have not noticed any traffic on these two frequencies. What are the assighned usage for these two marine channels? Thanks for any feedback.

ecps92

As Tom indicates, sponsored by Seatow or other groups (AAA of the Seas) in your area.

These have been on-line for sometime now, keeps the B.S. of 9/16
YMMV buy They are NOT avail all over the place, you just need to check out the local pages/marinas for info

https://www.seatow.com/service-locator/arc?

Greetings. Although this occured over the summer, I am just getting around to asking. During the marine broadcasts that are conducted twice a day from the USCG sector Lake Michigan here in Milwaukee, it is mentioned that mariners can use channel 27 for automatic radio checks for the south half of Lake Michigan and channel 28 for the north half. How does this work? Are these channels in addition to channel 9 for radio checks or is this a different type of system? I have not noticed any traffic on these two frequencies. What are the assighned usage for these two marine channels? Thanks for any feedback.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Seatow offers them in the Hampton Roads area (Virginia) on Ch-28 from their Little Creek location. The 'readback' often includes advertisements or PSA's. Kind of amusing the first 50 times you hear it.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.