RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Service Specific Monitoring > Marine Monitoring Forum

Marine Monitoring Forum - This is the place to discuss monitoring marine communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2017, 2:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default AIS recommendations?

I live in an area not covered by online AIS, and am wondering what the best options might be for receiving local signals myself. Was looking at some iPad apps, but couldn't be sure about what I was seeing. Would love to be able to plot the stuff on a map, but would be happy just to receive the datal

Would like to know what works well for those of you who use it. Am thinking I could use the IF-out option in the BC436 or the PSR800 for the radio end.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

ps - also a related question. Does anyone feel like there's a reduction of traffic on Ch-13 as a result of AIS?
Sponsored links
Old 06-17-2017, 2:28 AM
Moderator/Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4jri View Post
I live in an area not covered by online AIS, and am wondering what the best options might be for receiving local signals myself. Was looking at some iPad apps, but couldn't be sure about what I was seeing. Would love to be able to plot the stuff on a map, but would be happy just to receive the datal

Would like to know what works well for those of you who use it. Am thinking I could use the IF-out option in the BC436 or the PSR800 for the radio end.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

ps - also a related question. Does anyone feel like there's a reduction of traffic on Ch-13 as a result of AIS?
you could try a cheap ($15) SDR radio. i tried it and it worked here, but i'm too far inland to receive much traffic.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:43 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Arrow

Some USB AIS receivers on this page.
The Comar SLR-350N Network AIS Receiver has USB port on it and works great uploading AIS data to AIS tracking site.
http://www.milltechmarine.com/AIS-Receivers_c_13.html
Old 06-17-2017, 2:23 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Try this link out marinetraffic.com/en/p/apply-for-free-ais-receiver and see if you qualify for a free AIS receiver,i have been hosting for them for 7 years now.....
Old 06-17-2017, 4:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Suggestions all appreciated, but are very high-dollar. I live in Richmond, VA which is very limited as a port and am too far from the river to be an effective AIS contributor--not likely to attract the grant of a free receiver from MarineTraffic...whose iPad app I'm currently using. Have been unable to make the RTL dongle work, but still like it (or the AIS dongle) as a possible solution if I can overcome the computer issues.

Am more interested in interfacing the signal from the IF of a scanner (I have several with the appropriate capability) with an iPad or even my PC if necessary. It would be a mobile solution as I try to get a feel for what goes on. (There is an AIS site in Hopewell, VA about 20 miles away, and vessels disappear just a few miles upstream as the river begins to bend and twist.

73/Allen (N4JRI)
Sponsored links
Old 06-20-2017, 8:51 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The first to-do, before you try to decode: are you positive you can even receive the signal? Can you hear it, or, can you see it using your RTL dongle?
Old 08-01-2017, 2:36 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Why not apply for some FREE equipment, if your area is not covered.
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/p/expand-coverage

Quote:

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Old 08-01-2017, 3:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecps92 View Post
Why not apply for some FREE equipment, if your area is not covered.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/p/expand-coverage

Actually I don't have a good home receiving setup, but have spoken to a local ham repeater owner about applying for a free receiver and plugging it into an unused site where we wouldn't need a big investment in transmission line, etc. Was thinking that it might make good publicity for hams--helping make the info more available to small boaters who could use their mobile devices w/Internet instead of buying a high dollar plotter.

But the interest I'm expressing in this thread is for something that would work for my own casual mobile/portable use. There are lots of holes on the James River--particularly near Richmond.

The nearest online receiver at this point is actually on a buoy, maintained by local college students who are also taking tidal and other measurements and sharing with NOAA.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2017, 7:01 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Keep in mind it's not about covering a WIDE AREA, the local coverage is more important, which is where the site you mentioned has vessels drop off just up the river.

BTW if you click on the link for that site, you will see it indicate "Low Coverage"
but they do cover about 95 sq/mi

As to navigation via the internet, a boater should invest
that would be like relying on a cellphone instead of a marine radio [IMHO ]

Quote:
Actually I don't have a good home receiving setup, but have spoken to a local ham repeater owner about applying for a free receiver and plugging it into an unused site where we wouldn't need a big investment in transmission line, etc. Was thinking that it might make good publicity for hams--helping make the info more available to small boaters who could use their mobile devices w/Internet instead of buying a high dollar plotter.

But the interest I'm expressing in this thread is for something that would work for my own casual mobile/portable use. There are lots of holes on the James River--particularly near Richmond.

The nearest online receiver at this point is actually on a buoy, maintained by local college students who are also taking tidal and other measurements and sharing with NOAA.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Old 08-02-2017, 9:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecps92 View Post
Keep in mind it's not about covering a WIDE AREA, the local coverage is more important, which is where the site you mentioned has vessels drop off just up the river.

BTW if you click on the link for that site, you will see it indicate "Low Coverage"

but they do cover about 95 sq/mi

As to navigation via the internet, a boater should invest

that would be like relying on a cellphone instead of a marine radio [IMHO ]

Yes, the buoy is out of the water for maintenance, sitting in the marina. Hopefully back to full power soon. I myself can't even provide low coverage--I live about 6 miles from the city. Just looking for something I can use in the field--and standing by to assist anyone near the river who is interested in increasing coverage.

As for iPhone use, some small boaters don't even have a radio. But they might enjoy the benefits of seeing what's out there with a $5 app.