MOL ACE radio upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
During recent visits to Newport News, I've found the Sunrise Ace, Prime Ace and I think the Triumph Ace using 457.55 [107.2] onboard in repeater mode. American split with input on 467.775. In addition I heard traffic on 457.600 [107.2] that I think was simplex and possibly internal to the engineering team on the Sunrise Ace.

Talk was very professional in all cases, native-sounding English and no proper names used. Everyone that I heard ID'ed by title.

Having seen some different combinations reported, I'm thinking that this may represent a recent upgrade. I generally don't catch a lot of repeater action with freighters--at least not much that I can localize to a particular ship.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

ecps92

Interesting, I've only heard the Sunrise ACE [2011] using Simplex and that was 457.5500 but 141.3 Hz which is the common "ACE" ctcss

Most of those Auto Ships don't have Repeaters, like the Cruise Ships do

Keep in mind, many of the USN and USNS fleet also do tend to appear on those same Pairs :) Which might explain the titles and English, so it might not be the ACE's [[just my thoughts]]

The Common fleet with Repeaters tho is the Cosco and they can switch the Repeater to different pairs, depending on the local interference.

During recent visits to Newport News, I've found the Sunrise Ace, Prime Ace and I think the Triumph Ace using 457.55 [107.2] onboard in repeater mode. American split with input on 467.775. In addition I heard traffic on 457.600 [107.2] that I think was simplex and possibly internal to the engineering team on the Sunrise Ace.

Talk was very professional in all cases, native-sounding English and no proper names used. Everyone that I heard ID'ed by title.

Having seen some different combinations reported, I'm thinking that this may represent a recent upgrade. I generally don't catch a lot of repeater action with freighters--at least not much that I can localize to a particular ship.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
There seem to be at least 2 navy vessels in that situation in the port. One uses 457.6 [103.5] and I feel sure it's a repeater. Possibly docked at a shipyard near Lamberts Point. Another is using DMR on 457.525 (I think) and seems to be at Little Creek.

With the ACE ships, I'm hearing the input only when in close proximity to them and probably 5+ miles from the navy base. I don't hear the input when they're not near me.

There is someone else besides them using that PL though. Can't remember if it's on the same freq.

Will keep watching the situation as opportunities arise. Very hard to match those freqs in the larger port. Even at Newport News where the ship looms right above you, they pretty much have to be docking or undocking to generate sufficient traffic for hunting inputs.

So I won't say I'm 100% here, but what I'm hearing seems to match the ACE comings and goings. However, there are about 6 military transport ships docked nearby (with on-call crews, I'm told)
and I could possibly get traffic from a navy ship at Newport News Shipbuilding if its maintaining a duty crew at the yard. All this has been considered prior to posting.

Am pretty sure that my friend on 457.600 is in a shipyard as well

73/Allen (N4JRI)

ecps92

Easy to find/track em, as they Arrive or Depart, as you hear lines being passed or pulled.

Any other times, much harder, I can only imagine the traffic you hear vs me in Boston

There seem to be at least 2 navy vessels in that situation in the port. One uses 457.6 [103.5] and I feel sure it's a repeater. Possibly docked at a shipyard near Lamberts Point. Another is using DMR on 457.525 (I think) and seems to be at Little Creek.

With the ACE ships, I'm hearing the input only when in close proximity to them and probably 5+ miles from the navy base. I don't hear the input when they're not near me.

There is someone else besides them using that PL though. Can't remember if it's on the same freq.

Will keep watching the situation as opportunities arise. Very hard to match those freqs in the larger port. Even at Newport News where the ship looms right above you, they pretty much have to be docking or undocking to generate sufficient traffic for hunting inputs.

So I won't say I'm 100% here, but what I'm hearing seems to match the ACE comings and goings. However, there are about 6 military transport ships docked nearby (with on-call crews, I'm told)
and I could possibly get traffic from a navy ship at Newport News Shipbuilding if its maintaining a duty crew at the yard. All this has been considered prior to posting.

Am pretty sure that my friend on 457.600 is in a shipyard as well

73/Allen (N4JRI)

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Easy to find/track em, as they Arrive or Depart, as you hear lines being passed or pulled.

Any other times, much harder, I can only imagine the traffic you hear vs me in Boston

The upside is that it's a diverse and colorful port. The downside is tremendous QRM which I've found out is overload from the Navy's 380 MHz ELMR. Not an image problem, but brute-force interference that often makes the air band unlistenable on a scanner. Bad also on marine freqs both VHF and UHF.

But it's a fun puzzle to work, with mysteries still in place to solve. Even the MOL ACE thing needs to be re-examined. I feel pretty luckly that it's only about 70 miles away, and that I can get a fair amount of action only 20 miles away in Hopewell. Funny though, most of the guys I've talked to down there don't find it that interesting. I compare notes far more with another guy from Richmond!

73/Allen (N4JRI)

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, I've only heard the Sunrise ACE [2011] using Simplex and that was 457.5500 but 141.3 Hz which is the common "ACE" ctcss

Most of those Auto Ships don't have Repeaters, like the Cruise Ships do

Keep in mind, many of the USN and USNS fleet also do tend to appear on those same Pairs :) Which might explain the titles and English, so it might not be the ACE's [[just my thoughts]]

The Common fleet with Repeaters tho is the Cosco and they can switch the Repeater to different pairs, depending on the local interference.

Had a job in Portsmouth this weekend, and did hear a little traffic on 457.55 [107.2] in Newport News with no MOL ACE ship in port. Didn't get the input, but did get some hits of 467.775 on the display. (no audio or squelch code) Judging from where I heard it, it could be an older carrier sitting at Newport News Shipbuilding, and my location at the time would've probably been too far to get a clear hit on the input. If I were down there on a weekday, there might be more traffic, and I could evaluate if this is what I'm really hearing when one of the ACE ships is in. Will keep you posted as things develop.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

ecps92

Many are simplex, rare for the Cargo Container ships to run Repeaters

Had a job in Portsmouth this weekend, and did hear a little traffic on 457.55 [107.2] in Newport News with no MOL ACE ship in port. Didn't get the input, but did get some hits of 467.775 on the display. (no audio or squelch code) Judging from where I heard it, it could be an older carrier sitting at Newport News Shipbuilding, and my location at the time would've probably been too far to get a clear hit on the input. If I were down there on a weekday, there might be more traffic, and I could evaluate if this is what I'm really hearing when one of the ACE ships is in. Will keep you posted as things develop.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.