Emission designators for Marine radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFFR

Anyone familiar with common emission designators for Marine radio? The FCC documentations list emission types, such as F3E or G1B, but nothing seems to list the necessary bandwidth. I've been looking at some specifications for marine radio manufacturers, but they too only seem to list the emission type without the necessary bandwidth. Anyone have a source that might have the emissions designators?

ecps92

According to a sampling of FCC licenses
16K0F3E

Anyone familiar with common emission designators for Marine radio? The FCC documentations list emission types, such as F3E or G1B, but nothing seems to list the necessary bandwidth. I've been looking at some specifications for marine radio manufacturers, but they too only seem to list the emission type without the necessary bandwidth. Anyone have a source that might have the emissions designators?

RFFR

Would that be for all of the systems outlined in the FCC's Part 80? Is it the same for maritime VHF, DSC, NBDP, SSB?

Edit: Regarding the sampling of licenses, are those related to the frequencies on your site? I ask because if so I can also take that approach. I just don't have a handy list of "maritime license holders" on hand.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
VHF Marine is FM, 25KHz channel spacing, 5KHz deviation. DSC would be the same bandwidth.

SSB would be: 2K80J3E 2.8KHz (that's what the 2K80 means) J = AM, SSB suppressed carrier. 3 = single channel analog. E = Telephony.

RFFR

VHF Marine is FM, 25KHz channel spacing, 5KHz deviation. DSC would be the same bandwidth.

SSB would be: 2K80J3E 2.8KHz (that's what the 2K80 means) J = AM, SSB suppressed carrier. 3 = single channel analog. E = Telephony.

So the standard VHF/DSC necessary bandwidth is 16 kHz?

ecps92

No those are from selecting various FCC.gov licenses for the VHF Marine.

Generally the UHF Marine is not licensed by the FCC as many of the ships are not US Registered.

Site / Market / Frequency Query
put in the various VHF Frequencies.
Would that be for all of the systems outlined in the FCC's Part 80? Is it the same for maritime VHF, DSC, NBDP, SSB?

Edit: Regarding the sampling of licenses, are those related to the frequencies on your site? I ask because if so I can also take that approach. I just don't have a handy list of "maritime license holders" on hand.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So the standard VHF/DSC necessary bandwidth is 16 kHz?

16K0G2B, although I see G2E, G2D, etc.
But yeah, 16KHz, which is what they use in wide FM/25KHz channels.
Since a lot of VHF Marine radios have DSC, they are using the standard channel bandwidth.

I know there is various levels of talk about VHF going narrow band in the future, but I think that's a long way off.
There's a huge base of installed radios that would need to be updated.
Interoperability with users in other countries.
While ITU will eventually go that way, it's going to take a long time to happen.

Even with narrow band FM, there's talk of 6.25KHz channels, and that will have to be digital voice.

RFFR

Thank you both for the information. You've been tremendously helpful!

D

DaveNF2G

Even with narrow band FM, there's talk of 6.25KHz channels, and that will have to be digital voice.

Not for any physical reason. But I'm sure the usual suspects will be pushing digital as a "requirement" for supernarrowband emissions.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Not for any physical reason. But I'm sure the usual suspects will be pushing digital as a "requirement" for supernarrowband emissions.

I think I read it on the ITU website, but I could be wrong.

In all my years, I've never heard a channel congestion problem on VHF FM, and that includes working around some of the biggest ports in North America.

majoco

Stirrer
+1 on what mmckenna said - they have already interleaved another set of channels into the existing band to cover duplex telephony and other bits and pieces. Given that marine VHF is usually 'station-to-station', that is they don't use repeaters, and the limited range so one port won't interfere with another, AND that every ship in the world has a VHF radio so to force the owners to replace them would cause a tremendous problem.

paulears

Look at the aircraft transition - it got there in the end but cost an awful lot of money, and only the very strict rules on what you can have in an aircraft drove this through. I live in a port, and loads of old 50KHz spaced kit is still out there in boathouses doing duty on the local channels which are all in the original marine radio spec. I'm not even sure they need more channels, do they? I'd suspect if it happens it will be a digital overlay, where some channels are removed from service and allocated to digital too!

RFFR

NBDP/NAVTEX/SITOR is 300HF1B, 300Hz channel.

Would you happen to know the emission designator for morse code? I've read that it's been phased out a while ago, but still required to be known. Does modern equipment provide the capability for morse communications?

Status
Not open for further replies.