Newb questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCHarris

I have recently gotten two kayaks. Am interested in getting 2 handheld marine radios to use on inland lakes and rivers in South Carolina. I am a licensed amateur operator (technician class), but my wife isn’t. Ann interested in getting marine radios due to they are waterproof, they float, and I have read you don’t need s license to use. My questions are, is this true about not needing a license? What channel(s) would I use to communicate? Does anyone have any suggestions on what are good radios (not looking for anything fancy, would prefer something easy to use, or my wife won’t)? Would like to have NOAA weather radio with SAME; does this come standard on these radios? Is there any particular protocol to use when communicating? Any replies/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
The FCC dont require recreational boaters to have a licence to use a marine radio,i have been using one for years now as i also kayak in the south texas bays and inlets for fishing they do come in handy while you are out on the water,Cha.16 is used for safety and distress calling here where i live when out on the bay Cha.12 is used a lot between boaters and fishermen out on the bay giving out fishing reports......

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
A nice but low cost radio is a Cobra MR-HH125 its around 60 dollars but it only puts out 3 watts i myself rather have more higher wattage out put,the radio i have is a Cobra MR-HH350 FLT this radio will put out a full 6 watts you can find this radio for around 130 dollars good luck and stay safe on the open water......

DCHarris

Thanks

Thanks for info. Would probably just use for close communication, maybe a couple hundred yards, but like the idea of more powerful radio (6 watt) in case of emergency.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I've been using my Cobra MR-HH350 for several years with no problems whatsoever. I highly recommend it for its low cost and dependable service.

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
We have a family cabin on a chain of lakes in the middle of northern Minnesota, made up of small lakes and lots of channels that connect the lakes. We have 3 Cobra MR-HH 350 6 watt portables. We have a Midland Mobile in our boat and use the portables when we are kayaking or jet skiing. They are a great radio with plenty of range. These radios are obviously simplex so miles away play line of sight and terrain but I have gotten at least 3 miles out of them. Work great for what our use is out of them

Status
Not open for further replies.