Deadliest Catch on 2m Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
I was just watching the latest episode of Deadliest Catch, and in multiple scenes they're showing Cornelia Marie having a discussion after 100mi off shore with the Brenna A on 146.600, both using Icom IC2200H's. Is it common in Alaska for commercial boats to use the ham band unlicensed?

Voyager

Keep in mind you are watching a TV show. Many of the scenes will be using props. They may be using that radio as a prop with a dummy load so they don't reveal what they really use.

I've been casually involved with productions, and it's amazing what they will do to get a scene or make it look real. John McClane was likely not actually transmitting on the Kenwood ham portables in Die Hard.

It's also entirely possible that those involved on Deadliest Catch are hams who are licensed and properly ID'ed themselves even if they don't air that footage on the show. We can debate the commercial aspects, but if they are just chatting, ham is fair game for licensed individuals.

Again, they may be properly licensed and just using that radio for the footage - having arranged the scene earlier.

In the past I've seen scenes of HF frequencies that are likely not accurate. After all, that is an invitation for interference.

Does Josh Harris still own the boat? Look up Joshua Harris in the FCC ham database. Who was he talking to? Sig Hansen? Whoever it was, look them up. Of course, it may be the film crew members who are licensed hams and acting as control ops for the actors.

Last edited:

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Joshua Harris, Casey McManus, and Sean Dwyer are all not licensed. Neither of the two cameramen assigned to the Cornelia are licensed, nor are the two who spend autumn on the Brenna A. It was not a prop, they were actual transmissions. My brother, a mechanic who worked out of Dutch this year, verified both boats used the frequency even when the cameras were off during the 2017-2018 seasons.

Wouldn't have posted if it was a set-up.

So back to the question at hand. Is this common in Alaska?

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It can be common.
I'm near the ocean and will frequently hear fishing boats talking on 146.415, no call signs and discussing locations, catches, conditions, etc.
I went to high school with a guy that would often sell old 2 meter radios to fisherman.
The idea behind it was that it wasn't something that other competing fisherman would hear. Of course, now it's on TV…

Often they'll use satellite phones, but that can get expensive. For short range use, 2 meter would work fine. 100 miles off shore? No one is going to care.

I lived in Alaska for a while, a lot of rules that seem important in the lower 48 are not quite as popular up there. VHF marine is more popular than CB, and it's not at all uncommon to see marine VHF radios in trucks, homes, businesses, etc. For some communities, it was a party line.

Voyager

Wouldn't have posted if it was a set-up.

I had no way of knowing you knew additional info to disprove any of the possibilities.

Beyond 13.8 miles out, the FCC no longer has jurisdiction anyway.

And yes, I know you said it's active in port, too. Just pointing out that it might be legal in international waters.

ipfd320

Banned
This was Posted on a Facebook Group a Few Days Ago on the Use of 146.600--There was a Few Answers---My Take as I See the Posts Above--AS Being a Captain an have to be Licensed as One they Do Have to Go Thru a Radio and Radar Course Plus a Whole Lot More--I Did a Little Searching Around and Got this
--------------------------------------------------------------------
FCC----*(Radio Equipment You May Use)*--You do not need a license to use marine VHF radios, any type of EPIRB, any type of radar, GPS or LORAN receivers, depth finders, CB radio, or amateur radio (an amateur license is required). Ships that use MF/HF single side-band radio, satellite communications, or telegraphy must continue to be licensed by the FCC.

FCC: Wireless Services: Ship Radio Stations: Licensing

COMMERCIAL FISHING VESSEL SAFETY DIGEST

Originated by
First Coast Guard District, Marine Safety Division

As recommended by
Commercial Fishing Industry Vessel Safety Advisory Committee

Go To Section 31---COMMUNICATIONS EQUIPMENT

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/...-CVC/CVC3/publications/Safety_Digest-2008.pdf

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I Watched that Episode and Tried to See Exactly Which Mike They Were Using--With so Many Mikes and Radios Around Them it was Hard to Tell

I Cant Just By Saying This Person Says This And that Person Says That --That they were Actually Using the Said Frequency---

As Per {Quote}--(Post 3)--Joshua Harris, Casey McManus, and Sean Dwyer are all not licensed. Neither of the two cameramen assigned to the Cornelia are licensed, nor are the two who spend autumn on the Brenna A. It was not a prop, they were actual transmissions

How did You Come to This Conclusion---Maybe They Are Licensed--But Like MMckenna Said in Paragraph 2

Voyager

FCC----*(Radio Equipment You May Use)*--You do not need a license to use marine VHF radios, any type of EPIRB, any type of radar, GPS or LORAN receivers, depth finders, CB radio, or amateur radio (an amateur license is required). Ships that use MF/HF single side-band radio, satellite communications, or telegraphy must continue to be licensed by the FCC.

FCC: Wireless Services: Ship Radio Stations: Licensing

Does this make sense to anyone?

"You do not need a license to use ... amateur radio (an amateur license is required)"

If a license is required, it should not be on a list that starts with "You do not need a license to use". Just DON'T include it if a license is required.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I'm no expert on communications law, maritime law or the FCC's enforcement policies and procedures (I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night) but I'm pretty sure the government doesn't care about 2m radio operations in international waters even if they could legally get involved.

Spec

For many years Fishermen when miles off shore have used "pirate" freq. in HF as well as Ham freq in vhf to communicate with each other to avoid the competition from hearing them. I am NOT saying this is the case here. What I am saying is I would not be surprised if the did. I have experienced them on numerous frequencies that they were not supposed to be on. FCC more than likely doesn't care as at those distances from shore they don't bother anyone.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I'm no expert on communications law, maritime law or the FCC's enforcement policies and procedures (I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night) but I'm pretty sure the government doesn't care about 2m radio operations in international waters even if they could legally get involved.

They were still within the Alaska EEZ, which is part of the reason I was curious if it was common or not.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Dang. I thought your ID was RadioDutch (as in Dutch Harbor). Close.

Nah. I got the nickname when I was 19 for being dumb/crazy enough to try to climb a mast to fix an antenna on the ship I was apprenticing on in the middle of a miserable storm in the Southern Ocean. 2nd Mate saw a big one coming towards the bow and "Radio! Ditch!" was the last thing he yelled up at me before it broke. Not like I had anywhere to go. Just kind of stuck. :D

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Does this make sense to anyone?

"You do not need a license to use ... amateur radio (an amateur license is required)"

If a license is required, it should not be on a list that starts with "You do not need a license to use". Just DON'T include it if a license is required.

It does make sense, as it is specifically referring to equipment that can be used without a Ship Station License. Basically saying if you're a ham, you don't need an additional license just because the rig is on a boat.

Voyager

It does make sense, as it is specifically referring to equipment that can be used without a Ship Station License. Basically saying if you're a ham, you don't need an additional license just because the rig is on a boat.

So even if you have a business radio license, you need an additional license to operate that radio if it's on a boat?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
So even if you have a business radio license, you need an additional license to operate that radio if it's on a boat?

According to the FCC FAQ, yes. I'm sure if someone asks, it will be updated to include business band radios

According to the first part of Form 605 Schedule B, by strict interpretation, any communications equipment mounted on a vessel would be considered "marine"

Attachments

• 605b.JPG
    605b.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,462

prcguy

As others have mentioned, fishermen use 2m and other bands illegally for their business. I lived most of my life in the Port of Los Angeles and have installed and maintained radios on vessels including 2m where nobody had an amateur license and also VHF frequency hopping radios which were totally illegal.

Even in International waters it would be illegal to use the 2m amateur band without a valid licence. You would be out of the jurisdiction of the FCC but it would still be an offence punishable by somebody.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Even in International waters it would be illegal to use the 2m amateur band without a valid licence. You would be out of the jurisdiction of the FCC but it would still be an offence punishable by somebody.

Who?

Status
Not open for further replies.