Helping Boats With Marine Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarekZdarek

Getting a nice boat is a ton of fun, but I realized that I could combine my excitement for scanning with my excitement for boating and help people out. Are there certain types of marine monitoring and scanning that I may want to consider? Do any of you that have done marine scanning have tips about products and setups? I’d love to hear your tips!

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Getting a nice boat is a ton of fun, but I realized that I could combine my excitement for scanning with my excitement for boating and help people out. Are there certain types of marine monitoring and scanning that I may want to consider? Do any of you that have done marine scanning have tips about products and setups? I’d love to hear your tips!

You could just get a simple scanner that has the marine band in it and get a good antenna setup and listen for maydays or distress calls, and if you live close to a river, lake, or the ocean you could get a marine radio too actually respond back to calls too.

majoco

Stirrer
Why not go the whole hog and get a marine VHF band transceiver and fit it to your boat? I have no idea what hoops you have to jump through to get a licence but it can't be too hard - can it?

or the ocean you could get a marine radio too actually respond back to calls too.

You are not allowed to talk from a home based marine radio - only authorised stations can do that with properly trained operators who know how to handle distress and emergency situations - they don't want well-meaning citizens putting in their 10cents worth.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Why not go the whole hog and get a marine VHF band transceiver and fit it to your boat? I have no idea what hoops you have to jump through to get a licence but it can't be too hard - can it?

You are not allowed to talk from a home based marine radio - only authorised stations can do that with properly trained operators who know how to handle distress and emergency situations - they don't want well-meaning citizens putting in their 10cents worth.

True, here they are called coast radio stations. Try contacting the FCC with your question or you could just join the USCGA and help out that way?

prcguy

I'm also a member and have an NTIA issued license for VHF marine shore station and also HF through UHF to support CG related activities.

Congrats on your 32yrs of service!

Plenty areas to assist with the USCG Auxiliary in this area. I see the other post had it listed as USCGA, but that is used by the Academy. We mostly spell it out or use USCG AUX.

All kind of ways you can have mobile or fixed land marine radio facility. I have been member for just over 32 years.

Welcome to the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary Official Web Portal

z31jaime

I am also a member with 2 mobile stations

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

N8IAA

I guess it all might come down to what the rules are in Poland for operating on the marine bands. Something else to consider, the OP hasn't been on since his first post three months ago.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.