RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Service Specific Monitoring > Marine Monitoring Forum


Marine Monitoring Forum - This is the place to discuss monitoring marine communications

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2018, 7:02 PM
   
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 1
Default Helping Boats With Marine Communications

Getting a nice boat is a ton of fun, but I realized that I could combine my excitement for scanning with my excitement for boating and help people out. Are there certain types of marine monitoring and scanning that I may want to consider? Do any of you that have done marine scanning have tips about products and setups? Id love to hear your tips!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2018, 1:02 PM
Rt169Radio's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekZdarek View Post
Getting a nice boat is a ton of fun, but I realized that I could combine my excitement for scanning with my excitement for boating and help people out. Are there certain types of marine monitoring and scanning that I may want to consider? Do any of you that have done marine scanning have tips about products and setups? I’d love to hear your tips!
You could just get a simple scanner that has the marine band in it and get a good antenna setup and listen for maydays or distress calls, and if you live close to a river, lake, or the ocean you could get a marine radio too actually respond back to calls too.
__________________
My Equipment & Bio- http://www.radioreference.com/apps/user/Rt169Radio/bio
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2018, 2:52 PM
majoco's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,952
Default

Why not go the whole hog and get a marine VHF band transceiver and fit it to your boat? I have no idea what hoops you have to jump through to get a licence but it can't be too hard - can it?

Quote:
or the ocean you could get a marine radio too actually respond back to calls too.
You are not allowed to talk from a home based marine radio - only authorised stations can do that with properly trained operators who know how to handle distress and emergency situations - they don't want well-meaning citizens putting in their 10cents worth.
__________________
Cheers - Martin ZL2MC - Palmerston North
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2018, 5:00 PM
Rt169Radio's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoco View Post
Why not go the whole hog and get a marine VHF band transceiver and fit it to your boat? I have no idea what hoops you have to jump through to get a licence but it can't be too hard - can it?



You are not allowed to talk from a home based marine radio - only authorised stations can do that with properly trained operators who know how to handle distress and emergency situations - they don't want well-meaning citizens putting in their 10cents worth.
True, here they are called coast radio stations. Try contacting the FCC with your question or you could just join the USCGA and help out that way?
__________________
My Equipment & Bio- http://www.radioreference.com/apps/user/Rt169Radio/bio
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-07-2018, 8:30 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Middle River, MD
Posts: 466
Default

Plenty areas to assist with the USCG Auxiliary in this area. I see the other post had it listed as USCGA, but that is used by the Academy. We mostly spell it out or use USCG AUX.

All kind of ways you can have mobile or fixed land marine radio facility. I have been member for just over 32 years.

Welcome to the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary Official Web Portal
__________________
KB3QWC
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-07-2018, 8:40 PM
prcguy's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,950
Default

I'm also a member and have an NTIA issued license for VHF marine shore station and also HF through UHF to support CG related activities.

Congrats on your 32yrs of service!


Quote:
Originally Posted by hill View Post
Plenty areas to assist with the USCG Auxiliary in this area. I see the other post had it listed as USCGA, but that is used by the Academy. We mostly spell it out or use USCG AUX.

All kind of ways you can have mobile or fixed land marine radio facility. I have been member for just over 32 years.

Welcome to the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary Official Web Portal
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-08-2018, 10:30 AM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Winter Garden, FL.
Posts: 123
Default

I am also a member with 2 mobile stations

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-08-2018, 12:16 PM
N8IAA's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fortunately, GA
Posts: 6,582
Default

I guess it all might come down to what the rules are in Poland for operating on the marine bands. Something else to consider, the OP hasn't been on since his first post three months ago.

Larry
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions