Cruise Ships

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcgrotz

Here's a heads up for anyone thinking of going on a cruise. Take a scanner, put all marine freqs in it. Some of the best stuff you'll ever hear. Even my wife likes to listen as the crew prepares to leave port and the gangway is reporting to the bridge how many people have not returned. It is part of our daily routine when we go on a cruise, upon return to the ship I grab the scanner and we head topside and grab a drink and listen.

Some of the FRS channels are fun too as many passengers bring them to keep families in touch. I remember in Sweden someone complained about interference on "their" channel. It was a mobile phone (cellular type) frequency there!

I once monitored the stage crew on 154.600 during a performance. That was interesting too, especially when the lead singer accidentally grabbed the wrong mike as she went out on stage. And the things they said during the crew's show night!

Happy scanning everyone

rpowley

Couldn't agree more - Some of the most entertaining listening is on a cruise ship. I normally take a scanner and a shortwave on board. FRS is a blast, especially during days at sea. Listening to the ships frequencies gives you a better understanding of the behind the scenes stuff - Medical, Security, Safety and normal passenger nonsense.

rcvmo

Many Moons ago when my wife and I went to see "Cats", I had the luxury of taking my dept. radio in with an earphone attached. It was that specific night that one of the performers lost communication on their wireless mic. What was more interesting is knowing the Theatre EMS were using modified ham radios. I bet I know where the interference came from!!!!!!!!!!
RCVMO

KEV200

The last time I was on a cruise (2004) Roayl Caribbean ships were using a digital trunking system on their ships, couldn't hear a thing.

b52hbuff

I was on Disney Cruise Lines, Disney Magic. The rr.com information on the TRS is pretty accurate. I found some other information on the net about the conventional radio on the ship, and that was largely incorrect.

If anyone is going on a DCL trip soon, reply here or PM me and I'll send some information 'in progress' of getting finalized...

ecps92

Digital on Royal

I'm curious which Ship, as the Only ship's confirmed to be running a trunk, are Disney and they use an 800 Mhz analog trunk. There were rumors of another line running LTR, however that was recently disproven by a reliable reporter.

Bill

KEV200 said:
The last time I was on a cruise (2004) Roayl Caribbean ships were using a digital trunking system on their ships, couldn't hear a thing.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
we were sailing out of Key West after a stop and I was on the stern wih my scanner. I noticed black smoke coming up from the otherside of key west about the time we passed a large private boat that was heading into Key West. The black smoke was moving south and all of sudden you could see it was coming from the smoke stacks of a large white ship that had come around the tip of Key West. On marine channel 16 the coast guard ship called to the yacht coming into key west and told him to halt where he was. The yacht started turned north and the coast guard came back and said they were within cannon range and they would start firing unless the yacht stopped immediately. They yacht went dead in the water. Our ship was picking up speed and we didn't get to see anymore of the action.

KEV200

ecps92 said:
467.5500 Mhz 74.4 Hz Repeater. Conventional

When I was on it in 2004, I could not find any ship traffic on 457 range. Crew members carried 800mhz hand held units.

Status
Not open for further replies.