Man stuck in swamp in Charles County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kumba

Premium Subscriber
This sounded like something minor, but it's getting big now. Sounds like earlier in the day, some guy in a canoe (I think), got onto a river near MD6 in La Plata, and at some point, got stuck in the Zekiah swamp around 10:30pm (If my time is right).

So now the County Fire/EMS has quite a collection of equipment it sounds like just to get this guy out. Trooper 7 was out hovering around to provide light, but had to depart for re-fueling and will be back. Meanwhile, Trooper 2 is flying down with hoist capabilities to provide support and lighting. I think some of the ATV's also got stuck in the mud (Trooper 2 will need to pull them out I think), and most of the rescuers are working their way in the dark through waist-deep water to get to this guy stuck in the canoe.

This is fascinating to listen to. And I am floored by the work these guys are doing to help the guy stuck in the swamp.

Anyone listening, this is on-going on the Tac 3 channel on the Charles County system.

Last edited:

Kumba

Premium Subscriber
Actually, sounds like it's three subjects that got stuck, an adult and two children. Water temps also have given the three subjects mild hypothermia, and DNR's made it to the scene to assist as well. Trooper 2 I think is going back, since the hoisting capabilities aren't needed anymore. Trooper 7 is going to provide lighting.

Update:
Actually, I think they reversed it. Trooper 2 is staying around, but I guess Trooper 7 left. News media's calling up the Sheriff's office now, too, so I imagine this will be morning news material.

Final Update:
Sounds like they made it out! Trooper 2 is landing to reconfigure their aviation equipment for some purpose, but it sounds like everyone is okay. The only victim is an ATV with a blown tire (and stuck in the mud) that they're going to mark and come back for in the daylight I believe. Kudos to everyone!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.