Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanManQSL

Premium Subscriber
QTH: Montgomery County, MD / Washington, DC
This is from NBC4.com

Metro Trains Collide Between Takoma, Fort Totten

By MATTHEW STABLEY

WASHINGTON -- Two Metro trains collided between the Takoma and Fort Totten stations on the Red Line, resulting in at least one fatality, D.C. Fire and EMS Department spokesman Alan Etter said. A six-car train headed toward Shady Grove derailed between those Metrorail stations and was involved in a collision with another train at 5 p.m. today, Monday, June 22, according to preliminary reports.

The collision took place above ground.

Officials have confirmed one fatality. There are numerous other injuries. Passengers are currently still trapped in the trains; emergency workers are using tools to cut them from the wreckage.

A witness told Bensen that it appeared that one train car looked like it was on top of another train car.

Trains are not traveling between the Brookland and Fort Totten stations. Shuttle service is being established, but Metro spokeswoman Cathy Asato advised riders to completely avoid the Red Line this afternoon and evening.

Trains are operating between Glenmont and Brookland and between Shady Grove and Brookland stations and from Glenmont to Takoma Metrorail stations for the remainder of the day.

Emergency officials are responding to the scene.

Last edited:

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Metro streaming feed

I changed the McLean Relay Station to just District fire, they are buzzing with activity from the Red Line scene.

http://colostreaming.com:8106/

Channel 7 news just showed what looked like in the distance to be one train into and under another, lifting the second train up in the air. So far talk of 12 patients, so this is a biggie.

Bote

hdralleiii

Feed Provider
Current info from WMATA and Fire/EMS confirms a head-on collision between 2 Red Line trains between Takoma Park and Ft Totten stations. 1 train car on top of another and DC Fire/EMS treating this as an MCI incident. 2 confirmed fatalities at this point and 60+ injuries. Many still trapped in in the train cars and currently being extricated. Scene does not look good...

More details to follow as they become available...

evan

Database Admin
I'm hearing a lot of chatter about red tags and green tags ect. what does that mean?

Most likely triage tags used to label the severity of injuries of victims.

Usually:
green=minor
yellow=non-life threatening
red=life-threatening
black=death/imminent death

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Yes. It is safe to assume that "life threatening" is more severe than "minor". Life threatening means that the person is (or will be) close to death. Minor means it's an injury, but the person won't die from it. Do a search on "triage" if there's still some question.

ScanManQSL

Premium Subscriber
QTH: Montgomery County, MD / Washington, DC
ohh ok I assume red means more severe and green less severe.

You are correct... Hopfully this explains a little better regarding triage tags.

* Red tags - (immediate) are used to label those who cannot survive without immediate treatment but who have a chance of survival.

* Yellow tags - (observation) for those who require observation (and possible later re-triage). Their condition is stable for the moment and, they are not in immediate danger of death. These victims will still need hospital care and would be treated immediately under normal circumstances.

* Green tags - (wait) are reserved for the "walking wounded" who will need medical care at some point, after more critical injuries have been treated.

* White tags - (dismiss) are given to those with minor injuries for whom a doctor's care is not required.

* Black tags - (expectant) are used for the deceased and for those whose injuries are so extensive that they will not be able to survive given the care that is available.

chaz0426

ohh ok thanks. Wow I was just on that same route at 3pm on Friday. If that had happened then I could have been on that train. Scary stuff! I don't take the metro very often either, No more metro for me.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Status
Not open for further replies.