College Park structure fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
Numerous mutual aid units including AA Engine 17 (Arnold), Tower 5 (Waugh Chapel) and Truck 33 (Glen Burnie) --- now that's a run!

Probably picked up from transfers....

Operations on 8A3, 8A4 and 8A5.

(sounds great on my G4 from here just south of BWI airport!)

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
Prince George's Fire Chief says this is "...the largest fire call, in terms of manpower, in county history, other than perhaps the fire at the Upper Marlboro courthouse in 2004."

5-alarm College Park fire fills sky with smoke, shuts down major road | WTOP

8 1/2 hours later - still flowing large streams onto the fire.

Units coming from Bethesda-Chevy Chase to Glen Burnie are on the scene assisting.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Numerous mutual aid units including AA Engine 17 (Arnold), Tower 5 (Waugh Chapel) and Truck 33 (Glen Burnie) --- now that's a run!

Probably picked up from transfers....

Operations on 8A3, 8A4 and 8A5.

(sounds great on my G4 from here just south of BWI airport!)

G4 hearing P25P1 on the PG system - I guess the TGs have reverted to FDMA (makes sense for mutual aid operations.) Also, it looks like all the neighboring jurisdictions have the ability to operate on PG TGs. (I'd like to read the after-action report on this one.)

troymail

Silent Key
G4 hearing P25P1 on the PG system - I guess the TGs have reverted to FDMA (makes sense for mutual aid operations.)

Yup - best time to listen to PG on a Unication today (until Phase 2 firmware becomes a reality) - when there is mutual aid response - including Anne Arundel, Montgomery, and units from the other side of the river...

Mr_Boh

Yup - best time to listen to PG on a Unication today (until Phase 2 firmware becomes a reality) - when there is mutual aid response - including Anne Arundel, Montgomery, and units from the other side of the river...

Most of the FD TGs are always in FDMA (and are listed in db as such). Off the top of my head AA, Howard, and Calvert are regular MA companies that do not have Phase II capable radios deployed for their FD personnel. And AA and Howard are in PG on an almost daily basis.

troymail

Silent Key
Most of the FD TGs are always in FDMA (and are listed in db as such). Off the top of my head AA, Howard, and Calvert are regular MA companies that do not have Phase II capable radios deployed for their FD personnel. And AA and Howard are in PG on an almost daily basis.

We're a bit off topic here but I need to disagree with that... talkgroups, etc. on box alarms in central PG with no mutual aid are most times TDMA/Phase 2. However, I do agree that Dispatch (8A1) and loca/EMS (8A2) are routinely FDMA/Phase 1. Other talkgroups (i.e. law enforcement) are even less often found to be in Phase 1.

troymail

Silent Key
Estimates of damage - $39 Million

College Park fire causes $39M in damage | WTOP

Perhaps it's time for planners to start looking at fire protection systems being in service BEFORE building completion?

There was another similar fire somewhere else recently here it was cited that the fire protection systems were not yet in place because the building was under construction.

This one looks pretty well completed..... at least from the exterior.

Last edited:

ocguard

College Park fire causes $39M in damage | WTOP

Perhaps it's time for planners to start looking at fire protection systems being in service BEFORE building completion?

There was another similar fire somewhere else recently here it was cited that the fire protection systems were not yet in place because the building was under construction.

This one looks pretty well completed..... at least from the exterior.

We recently had an 8 story multi-use residential building (stick-built as per the new norm) put up in our first due. We did a walk-through as they were about halfway through closing up with sheet rock and they still hadn't turned on the auto-sprinklers and detection. I'm surprised insurance underwriters haven't started to demand this. Even the stick framing, in a building of this size, is a huge loss if it goes. I think about that huge apartment building under construction in LA that burned last year. They almost lost an adjacent high rise from autoexposure problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.