Scanner moments....

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzukirider

the other morning, about 0450, a call went out here in mont.co. for a burglary in progress...priority response...in the beat where i live.

several of the responding units required turn-by-turn directions to get to the place because it wasn't on a major road but somewhat deep inside a residential area.

so i'm listening to the turn-by-turn directions, recognizing most of the directions (i was already familiar with the destination street as it was very near my old HS.) and i hear one of the responding officers request a unit to respond to an intersection along the way to the call....but doesn't mention the nature of his request.

only when he asks for a SPECIFIC unit to respond...does THAT unit ask "what is the nature?"

to which he responds..." [nameless unit] rear-ended me."

HA! high comedy, and one of the great moments that comes with scanner ownership.

keystone kops....

luckily, it didn't sound as if anyone was hurt, but both cruisers were apparently undriveable.

oh wait...not so funny...those are my tax dollars!!

abe

suzukirider

oh and the original call ended up being nothing..."things that go bump in the night" kinda deal.

abe

lawman349

Think.

suzukirider said:
only when he asks for a SPECIFIC unit to respond...does THAT unit ask "what is the nature?"

to which he responds..." [nameless unit] rear-ended me."

HA! high comedy, and one of the great moments that comes with scanner ownership.

keystone kops....

luckily, it didn't sound as if anyone was hurt, but both cruisers were apparently undriveable.

abe

hilarious.

Would you be laughing if YOU or your family were one of the officers involved? I am glad you find it amusing when an officer is involved in a traffic accident. More police officers are killed in traffic collisions than any other type of incident. I have had three friends killed that way, and it never gets easier.

Why dont you try doing something constructive with your time. Show some compassion and respect for the men and women who stand between chaos and people like you.

http://www.nationalcops.org/

suzukirider

Oh jeez...i knew some LEO or sympathizer would bring this up....

it is very funny...

keystone-kops.jpg

it would be sad if someone got hurt...but nobody did (so far as i could tell.)

if i learn that someone got hurt, then i'll rescind my "funny" judgement.

fair?

abe

suzukirider

do you really think that those officers are going to be sitting around roll call speaking in hushed tones and hugging/crying together about this "close call"

please.

someone is never going to live this down, they'll be the butt of jokes around the station for a few years. maybe they'll get a funny nickname out of it. it's called camraderie.

abe

lawman349

suzukirider said:
do you really think that those officers are going to be sitting around roll call speaking in hushed tones and hugging/crying together about this "close call"

please.

someone is never going to live this down, they'll be the butt of jokes around the station for a few years. maybe they'll get a funny nickname out of it. it's called camraderie.

abe

maybe.

maybe not.

...but camraderie lies within the ranks of those Officers. You and your ignorant, foolish remarks are NOT camraderie and have nothing to do with it. When YOU put YOUR ass on the line for the sake of others and stand in solidarity with those men, you can chime in and call it camraderie.

You are just a jackass who thinks because you know a few 10-codes and can decipher a professionally dispatched call for service, you are an expert on police issues and public safety.

Wake up, son. You are a guy who owns a scanner. Nothing more.

jerk

lawman349 said:
hilarious.

Would you be laughing if YOU or your family were one of the officers involved? I am glad you find it amusing when an officer is involved in a traffic accident. More police officers are killed in traffic collisions than any other type of incident. I have had three friends killed that way, and it never gets easier.

Why dont you try doing something constructive with your time. Show some compassion and respect for the men and women who stand between chaos and people like you.

Lighten up... In Louisville KY more civilians have been killed by police officers driving in a dangerous and reckless manner. And only one officer has been fired. And he's appealing and no doubt has the "support" of his fellow officers.

Maybe those cops in the accident will learn some humility, and learn to drive with due regard for safety. They obviously need some remedial training.

And by the way, the blue line of silences sucks. The only reason your supporting them is because cops are involved. Maybe if the police threw out the drunks, the bullies, the incompetent, and didn't blindly support them... they might get the respect they deserve.

In other words someone is needed to police the police other than the police.

AL

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
When's the last time you saw a cop give a cop a ticket ?
They fly around the roads thinking that one day of car-handling training makes them immune to injury. And, as mentioned, when something does go wrong they cover.

suzukirider

it's a hard job.

i'm glad somebody chooses to do it...

yes, i'm just a guy who owns a scanner...i admit it. maybe that makes me less of a scanner owner. poor me.

what does that have to do with thinking it's funny that a couple of guys have a fender bender? i think most fender benders are funny.

i know plenty of people who can laugh at their own foibles and errors in judgement...are cops immune to this?

i think not. i know cops who think it's funny when people have misfortunes...esp if nobody gets hurt. they are normal people with the same emotions/concerns as the rest of us. stop idolizing them...they're human. in this instance they made a human mistake they'll have a good laugh about over beers just like the rest of us would.

if they weren't cops, it'd still be funny...but they were cops on their way to help, evidently in an overzealous manner that led to this incident...i can see humor in that.

abe

wvd1979

Please forgive me for nosing in here, but I don't think suzukirider intended to be offensive or mean spirited. Accidents are serious, but the fact that both officers are apparently OK helps to alleviate some of the tension. I'm glad both officers are all right.

Lawman349, I totally understand where you are coming from but I really don't think the post was made for the sake of being a jackass. Havent' we all said things that we regret at some point?

Last edited:

suzukirider

lawman349 said:
hilarious.

well after finding out my family member is ok, i'd start laughing my ass off.

abe

bwhite said:
When's the last time you saw a cop give a cop a ticket ?
They fly around the roads thinking that one day of car-handling training makes them immune to injury. And, as mentioned, when something does go wrong they cover.

This is so true. If Lawman really is a "Lawman", I'm sure he is a typical Lawman. Wants to give me a ticket for 5 over but if I show a badge after getting pulled over I'm just sent on my way.

More cops should be like this one who gave himself a ticket.
http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news/10880034/detail.html

And since Lawman wants to throw it around. How do we know hes nothing but a guy with a scanner? Please get over yourself.

lawman349

organized_mayhem said:
This is so true. If Lawman really is a "Lawman", I'm sure he is a typical Lawman. Wants to give me a ticket for 5 over but if I show a badge after getting pulled over I'm just sent on my way.

I've written cops tickets, dude. I will admit it is infrequent, but it's been done. Statistically, however, cops are MUCH less likely to have an accident than the average citizen. Over-the-road truck drivers are one of the few exceptions to that rule.

The reason the police accidents are widely publicized is because it sells newspapers and TV airtime. It is simple sensationalism. A normal citizen involved in a collision is not news. It happens thousands of times a day nationwide. Police officers crash so infrequently that when they do it's a major event. More often than not, the officer is not at fault. The news rarely puts a positive spin on it, though.

It is easy for the likes of you to criticize the likes of us. You get to second guess and armchair quarterback our every move. You see bits and pieces of the story from your Lazy-Boy and call yourself informed. Unfortunately, for the police, people like you watch cops shows and the 10 o'clock news on TV. This does not make you an expert.

Do us all a favor. Go on a ride along, volunteer at a police station, attend a police funeral, or sit on a citizen review board. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Last edited:

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Done a lot of this, I stand by my original comments.
Just to select one example from many I've witnessed,
Why is it necessary for State Police to routinely sail down the interstate at 85-90?
As you can tell by the nature of this forum, I monitor them, they aren't on a call.
Oftimes you'll see the car at the 7-11 at the next cutoff.
For an emergency situation, by all means, it requires you to be a little fast and loose but this is done way too often out of self interest.
I applaud you for being willing to ticket a fellow LEO.

lawman349

newsalan said:
Lighten up... In Louisville KY more civilians have been killed by police officers driving in a dangerous and reckless manner. And only one officer has been fired. And he's appealing and no doubt has the "support" of his fellow officers.

I am sure he does. Support comes in many ways - financial, moral, emotional, etc. It should be noted that in many states, cops serve at the pleasure of the chief. This means they can be terminated WITHOUT THE BENEFIT OF A TRIAL BOARD OR GUILTY FINDING BY ANY COURT. Why are normal citicens given the benefit of "innocent until proven guilty", but the cops are denied this right by folks like you?

newsalan said:
Maybe those cops in the accident will learn some humility, and learn to drive with due regard for safety. They obviously need some remedial training.

...if you are correct in your assertions regarding the "dangerous and reckless" driving by the police, I wholeheartedly agree. Remedial training is an absolute necessity.

newsalan said:
In other words someone is needed to police the police other than the police.
AL

We do a hell of a lot better at policing ourselves than most professions. I challenge you to identify a single profession that is as proactive in its efforts to maintain its level of professionalism and intgrity.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
And since this is no longer "breaking news" it makes no sense to continue.

As a general note, no one laughs harder at such incidents than the people involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.